I Got My Hair Cut

When I was a child, Gram went to the salon weekly to get her bouffant shaped and styled, so I knew having her hair done was pleasing. She always said, "If you're in a bad mood, get a haircut." I didn't want to hear anything about haircuts back then, though. Mom always made me get my hair cut (too) short. I was not too fond of that. Still, I agree with Gram's theory and find that the sense of renewal or a fresh start rings more accurately for me today than ever. I should have had that twelve inches taken off three years ago. It wasn't an extreme makeover, but I had it cut two weeks ago and am still getting compliments from everyone I know, and I feel more empowered than before I had it done. Either that or my neighbors were afraid to talk to me while I had all that hair. What's the most amount you've ever had cut from your hair, or what was your most significant makeover?
@wolfgirl569 (91926)
• Marion, Ohio
My hair grows very slowly. The shortest I have ever had it was just above my shoulders. Right now it's about the middle of my back
I could never get my hair to grow past my shoulders for years. Then, I stopped using a curling iron and blow dryer, stopped putting anything other than shampoo, conditioner, and a bit of hairspray in my hair, and began to style it solely with my fingers or a big tooth comb. Since then, my hair grew down to the middle of my back and beyond before I cut it.
@wolfgirl569 (91926)
• Marion, Ohio
@Chellezhere I haven't used anything on my hair in forever except to dye it here and there. And that is with henna and sometimes for fun the colored wash out ones
@wolfgirl569 After 26 years of coloring, I went into anaphylactic shock during an allergic reaction to boxed color. By then, I was 40, and my grays were already too resistant for boxed and salon, so I have been natural ever since.
• Walnut Creek, California
I get that sense when I do my laundry. Or take my monthly shower.
• Walnut Creek, California
@Chellezhere My sheets and comforter are great sources of pleasure and comfort for me. As the great @Vandanna7 will attest, I wash my sheets at least once a year and my comforter at least once every ten years. Whether they need it or not.
@TheHorse My son is the same way with the washing of his bedding.
When complete, those activities can bring about a sense of renewal or a fresh start, too, so it's understandable they would feel that way to you. I feel that way each time I climb into bed after washing my bedding, and when my sheets, blankets, and comforter are still warm, the feeling is even more profound.
I went to VERY long hair to short (not too short) in 1975, it was a 19 inches cut. I felt so much "lighter" without all those hair. I never let my hair grow so much again, but I go from short to quite long according to my mood.
@Chellezhere I liked my long hair, but I had enough to sit on it every time I sit inside the car or on a chair.
@LadyDuck I remember those days of getting my hair shut in car windows and everything else. It was time for me to make that change.
I imagine you did! I spent so many years unable to grow my hair past my shoulders that I had to see how far I could get it. I used to have it trimmed and shaped every four to eight weeks, but I've only had it done once a year in recent years. I cut my hair two weeks ago, and I am ready for a trim.
I had my hair cut many years ago. It just kept getting shorter and shorter, until it's the length it is today. I know every time I get it cut, I feel like a million bucks.
@Chellezhere I never thought I would. Like you, my mother liked to keep my hair short as a kid. I grew my hair long as soon as I left home. Now, it's short again.
@just4him My mother only ever thought women looked better with short hair. I think she was off her rocker with that one.
I know quite a few people above a certain age whose hair has gotten shorter and shorter. I am unsure that will be the case with me, but you can never say never, so who knows?
• Rockingham, Australia
I used to get my hair permed regularly and always got comments when I first got a new perm.
• Rockingham, Australia
@Chellezhere It's probably that long since I had one too.
@JudyEv I think that may be how long it has been since perms fell out of favor.
I haven't had a perm for about 30 years. That last one was an over-processed spiral.
@LindaOHio (149782)
I had hair almost down to my behind; and I had it cut short. I got tired of taking care of all that hair. I could use a haircut now. Fortunately I have naturally wavy hair and just have to brush it out after I wash it...Have a great weekend.
@LindaOHio (149782)
@Chellezhere Thank you. lolololol I never thought of it that way!
@LindaOHio (149782)
@Chellezhere That's too funny.
I love your picture. You look younger than my age, and I’m forty-two! The biggest hair transformation I had was when I had six inches cut off when I was a teenager.
@Chellezhere You really can’t tell.
Aww! How sweet! Thank you so much. I have not been 42 for over 13 years.
@AmbiePam Thank you.
Probably a few inches. Congrats on your new do. I got my hair cut right before Thanksgiving..if you can call it that. I hate when they cut too much off so basically I just got the ends trimmed. I like my hair the lenght it is now really.
@Chellezhere I think it looks nice. I have a hard time changing my look in general. I have been trying to psyche myself up to change the part in my hair.
@snowy22315 I changed my part about 37 years ago. The only time I see my natural part is when a stylist is working on my hair.
Normally, I only have them trim a few inches, then shape the rest, but my hair, attitude, etc. were in dire need of change.
@yanzalong (18877)
I don't like my hair cut, actually. My wife is always urging me to have it cut.
My hair was too long and out of shape. It was time for a change.
It's been decades since I actually had hair long enough to make a difference if I got mine cut, now I simply cut my own, I won't say I do a good job but anymore I just don't care.
I suppose it gets that way sometimes.
@xstitcher (29888)
• Petaluma, California
I used to hate having my hair cut short (Mom's idea) as a child. The other kids said I looked like a boy. Of course, that was in the first few grades of elementary school...
I have a picture of me and my brothers from back in the 1970s. I swear, we have the same bowl haircut.
@Dena91 (15557)
I grew up with the length of my hair to the my waistline. When I became a teen I had it cut shoulder length. Now it is to my neck line and I like it like that. I am not a girly girl and don't mess a lot with my hair so it is the perfect length for me.
I'm not one either. I often run my fingers through my hair, and that's it.
@Ronrybs (17687)
• London, England
Before I joined the RAF my hair was quite long, but they took care of that at basic training! Began losing my hair before I left, so I've never had long hair since
@Ronrybs (17687)
• London, England
@Chellezhere One style suits all!
@Ronrybs Yes, exactly. Let's make it easier for the heathens in this country to identify us and take us in as prisoners of war (or worse).
I imagine they did! Militaries are good for doing that.
I love hair cuts. When I go to salon there I feel refreshed for the period the barber works on my hair
I am glad you love them. They are very refreshing.
@LeaPea2417 (36115)
• Toccoa, Georgia
When I was 17, I chopped my hair very short like a boy. My Mom thought I looked great. I liked it for about a year, then decided to grow it longer and have kept it longer.
I had my hair cut really short when my (now 28-year-old) son was a toddler. It felt good at first, but I grew tired of it within a week.
I used to have a short hairstyle and for some years every spring had a perm to curl my hair. Now I just trim my own hair and keep it at shoulder length,
Shoulder-length is a good length to have it.