Early one morning just as the sun was dawning …..

@xFiacre (12594)
Ireland
First coffee in the warm kitchen in the dim first light of a Thursday morning in winter. The sun’s distant, apricot influence slips into the world through the widening gap between the lough and the thick lid of murderous looking cloud that hangs over the Lough. Half a mile downhill a ferry sits in the harbour waiting to dock, all twinkly but tired looking. Without seeing them, I can sense the sullen fatigue that falls on people who get up at 2 in the morning to catch the first ferry from Scotland. Now they’re sitting in their cars and lorries waiting to dock and drive away.
@LindaOHio (155077)
I would love to see Ireland and Scotland. How's your retirement treating you? It takes some getting used to. Wishing you a wonderful weekend.
@xFiacre (12594)
@lindaohio Haven’t got the chance to catch my breath yet.
@LindaOHio (155077)
@xFiacre You will love it. You can do what you want when you want OR nothing at all!
• Rockingham, Australia
I've been one of those who have slept on a ferry. The scariest one was landing in France with our Irish motor-home and have to drive off on the wrong side of the road (to us) and just keep going somewhere, anywhere, till the GPS caught up.
@xFiacre (12594)
@judyev I know exactly what you’re talking about! We took our car when we went to live in Paris and I’d just passed my driving test. I was apprehensive so planned to arrive on a late ferry after midnight and then get down to Paris at about 4 am on a Sunday morning so that there’s be no traffic, but Paris goes hard at it 24/7 so it didn’t help.
• Rockingham, Australia
@xFiacre We only got caught once in the middle of a huge roundabout somewhere in Austria. The occupants in one car were all shaking their fists at us!
@xFiacre (12594)
@JudyEv The secret for getting off a French roundabout when you’ve been round it for 6 times and no-one will let you off is: Chose your exit Put your hand permanently on the horn Point the car at the chosen exit Close your eyes Put your boot down firmly on the accelerated Don’t forget to give a hearty rendition of the Marseillaise while doing so. Works every time.