Give and take.

@xFiacre (12601)
Ireland
Two letters were sitting in the mailbox at my front door when I returned for my walk this afternoon, each addressed to me. The first that I opened, from my previous employer, informed me of the final total of what my pension and tax-tree payout are to be, and I was mightily chuffed and encouraged. It was significantly higher than expected, yea me. The second letter was from the tax man, informing me of some unexpected taxes outstanding that I now must pay. It is a relatively small sum, but coming hot on the heels of my good pension news it kind of put a dampener on things. Still, at least I can afford to pay it, and it's good to have something to bring me back to reality and to remember that money isn't everything. I've no objection to paying taxes and I think I get fairly good value for what I pay. I don't like having to deal with it though.
• Rockingham, Australia
I'm always amazed that whenever we might get a windfall of some time we almost simultaneously get a bill for a somewhat similar amount.
@Dena91 (15802)
That is wonderful your pension was more than what you thought it would be, sorry about the taxman though.
@LindaOHio (155164)
One good and one not so good. Doesn't it always work out that way? lol Enjoy your weekend.