A nod to the undertaker.

@xFiacre (12587)
Ireland
About 30 years ago (36 to be precise) I was on holiday in Portugal. It was a boring 2 weeks, most boring time of my life, the only package holiday I’ve ever been on, and I’m sure my suitcase had more fun than I had. On the plane there I noticed a young man who I knew to be an undertaker, and who had just got married. We had never been introduced but we lived in a small town at the time so I knew more than I needed to know about most people. On the last day of the holiday I went for a bit of a wander around the gardens of the apartment complex were we were staying. I walked the length of a tall hedge of hibiscus and slipped through a space in the hedge thinking it to be a short cut back. Alas no. It was maybe akin to walking through the wardrobe into Narnia, but as far as I remember, in Narnia there were no undertakers and their new brides doing a bit of sunbathing in the altogether. Oh yes. This is what I came across. And they were holding hands as they lay there sandwiched between grass and sky. The undertaker looked up and I nodded at him and walked on, processing. When I got back home everywhere I went the undertaker was there. Every street I walked down (there were only three) he was there and we always nodded at each other, never spoke, but the unspoken words trying to escape my lips were always “I’ve seen as much of your wife as you have”. I returned to the town recently and who should I see in the Main Street but the erstwhile undertaker, 36 years older, but I still nodded and giggled.
This story made me chuckle. Too funny.
All of his stories are good.
What a nice story I am glad you nodded and giggled.
@xFiacre (12587)
@jstory07 @happy2beme The only point of any interest in a two week holiday.
@xFiacre (12587)
@BearArtistLady A lesser lady would just have pointed and laughed! Oh the times I’ve been taken by surprise hosing down the trees in the forest!
@xFiacre Your story kind of reminds me of a "sighting" of a neighbor that I had when I lived out in the country. I was out on a quick walk to check our UPS box (United Parcel Service) for any packages that I was expecting and there was one. I had started back home and one of my neighbors (male) was wearing a pair of swim trunks and checking a hedge of bushes. He had the front kind of pulled down and an important piece of male equipment in hand and was busily watering the bushes. He heard me and turned towards me (from right to left) as I was walking by. He was still watering and holding the equipment. I got a good look at the male part, which along with the rest of him turned a vibrant red, and as he finished he turned the rest of the way to the left so I got a very good look, he shook it twice and put it away. It was one of the most interesting trips to our UPS boxes I had done in a very very long time. Every time I saw the gentleman he would turn fire engine red...even when I told him that it was a super nice piece of male equipment and he didn't need to turn red when we saw each other.
@LindaOHio (154836)
What a great story. Have a good day.
• Georgia
Heh heh, talk about a short cut to an eye full! I have a penchant for sea swimming without cover, but on very secluded beaches. I did, however, got thrown about a bit once by a rather large wave, and was walking out of the sea trying to get the sand and the saltwater out of my eyes. By the time I could see properly, there were three joggers standing right in front of me while I'm doing the equivalent of the Bo Derek sans clothing thing. I turned around and walked back into the sea. There is not much one can do when the unexpected is suddenly revealed
@xFiacre (12587)
@traveonworld I know of no more sensible way to swim in the sea than ‘without cover’. I’m an all year round sea swimmer and we have so many secluded beaches that look empty - nobody ever goes there until I’m already in the water, many metres from my clothes.
• Georgia
@xFiacre Its the coming out part where one has to be careful. And drones with cameras - I've visions of myself being a facebook sensation for the wrong reasons.