Dock noise.

@xFiacre (12587)
Ireland
It’s gone two o’clock in the morning, a dark February morning, and dock noise is drifting up from the sea and through my open bedroom window on the still air. I hear the dragging of heavy chains, the chug of the night train, whistles, horns and sirens, trucks and the groan of cranes. All that’s missing is the shout of stevedores, but most things are mechanised so all that stevedores do now is press buttons. They have little reason to shout. But it’s all music to my ears, especially if a boat emits a blast on its fog horn. At around three, when the late/early ferry leaves everything will fall silent till breakfast.
@Fleura (29065)
There's something nice about lying in bed and listening to other work going on : )
@xFiacre (12587)
@fleura Oh yes! I used to love getting into bed after working the night shift and hearing people clip-clopping down the street in pouring rain going to work while I was drifting off the to sleep.
After a while you almost do not hear those familiar noises. They become part of your routine.
That sounds really nice. I hear the train all night on the tracks here.
• Rockingham, Australia
Foghorns are such a melancholy sound. And noises travel at night it seems, more so than during the day.
@LindaOHio (154836)
We just have train noises. The train is quite far away; but the sounds carry to our house. After a while those sounds of the sea and land become second nature to us. Have a good day.