Retirement - day 23.

@xFiacre (12587)
Ireland
I don't know what's got into me tonight, but no alcohol has been taken. Suddenly the question flashed through my head, "How did I end up here, how did life turn out this way, what does it all mean?" I remember once more that I'm retired, living in a small house in a small town in a small country. No further use for dreams. And I still check the death notices in the paper but haven't come across my own name yet. Sentimental music might account for my mood to an extent ... "Ricordi, sbocciavano le viole ...." but that's only one part, just a mood, an atmosphere. Renzo is close to despairing over ever getting to hold Lucia. And the weather doesn't help. Spring is in the air but I can't get motivated to prepare the garden for the planting of vegetables. My former life is over, gone, I feel bereft. Money appears in my bank account (a modest sum of course) even though I no longer work. I feel guilty when I'm idle until my brain reminds me that it's ok to do nothing, and there is so much thinking to be done. This retirement thing is difficult.
I stopped reading the obituaries when I was ten. My mom started withholding the paper from me until I quit doing it. You must have the retirement blues I fear my dad will someday get if he retires. Your mind does sound too valuable not to be always doing something. Just don’t plot the overthrow of the universe; I believe you could do it.
@xFiacre I think it alarmed her that I did things like that, and read John Foxe’s “Fox’s Book of Martyrs”. I guess I was too young for that to be normal? Once you learn Romanian, are you going to try it out in said country?
@xFiacre (12587)
@AmbiePam I just like dabbling in languages to find out how they work but I'd certainly like to revisit Bucharest one day.
@xFiacre It’s a pity no one ever turned a recording device on you when you traveled. You’d make a great addition to America’s PBS.
For me the best thing to do is to keep blogging, writing, creating poetry, and posting, Keeps me active, thinking, learning new things along the way and busy so I stay out of trouble, You just have to decide what it is that you would enjoy doing right now and go for it,
@1creekgirl (40343)
You'll adjust to all the changes whether good or bad. I retired at 56 and over the years I would take a part time job to be around people. Now every day when I take a nap I thank God I'm not working.
@LindaOHio (154836)
Once you get used to it, you will LOVE it. I often thought about working part time or going back to school; but then I said "screw it" and relaxed. Have a good weekend.
I think I would struggle with retirement too. As much as my job stresses me out I can't imagine how I would fill my time without work. I wish you all the best un your retirement