Artistic toilet.

@xFiacre (12594)
Ireland
Recounting an evening's work at an event, @Fleura has caused a little memory to reawaken in my sleepy head of such an occasion at which I worked many years ago. The event in question was an art auction to which the well-heeled of Belfast were invited that they might purchase various objets d'art to raise money for a noble cause - I was the auctioneer's clerk. My duty was to bring forth each object, whether sculpture or painting, and hold it up in front of the champagne swillers. A chimpanzee could have been trained to do the job, and the organisers perhaps might have wished they had indeed engaged the services of some primate other than myself. The auctioneer called for the next lot, an abstract entitled 'Domestic Scene' by a local artist who was present, and I held it aloft, commenting to my assistant for the evening who had to help since it was a big painting, "Looks like somebody sitting on the toilet to me". My aside was uttered more loudly than I had intended, there was a tense moment, some tittering, and no bids were forthcoming. I wasn't asked back.
• Rockingham, Australia
I have a friend whose wife says 'He only opens his mouth to change feet'. You remind me of him.
@xFiacre (12594)
@judyev I have my moments. In Church once I led the gathered flock praying that God would help us to do what we ought not to do and to refrain from what we ought to do. I knew I’d said something stupid but couldn’t figure out what it was. My ever helpful wife enlightened me afterwards.
• Rockingham, Australia
@xFiacre That's what wives are for - to point out such things.
@Fleura (29064)
Oh dear, how embarrassing. Of course if it had been by someone like Tracy Emin it quite likely would have been someone sitting on the toilet, and still sold for a vast sum!
@LindaOHio (155077)
That's hilarious. Enjoy your weekend.