Driving where you live

I know in the USA, they teach us while we are in school. We get our leraner's permit around 16. What happens i nyour country? I know in England I think poeple have to pay by the hour to learn.
@MrNiceGuy (4147)
I wasn't taught in school. I was tuaght road rules, but the driving part was actually done by a private company we had to pay for. You can get your license in Virginia at 16 and 3 months. The permit is 15 and a half. Its hard to learn driving around here because of all the traffic.
so i guess it is different from state to state also or maybe even school to school. we had teachers from our school teach us...i can see why people in bigger cities would go to private companies to learn though.
Ur right, here in England we go to driving schools and pay by the hour to learn. Then we have to take a wirtten test as well as the test itself