Ice Cubes For Migraines

@myrith (1830)
When I get them they are severe,and they could last for days. I've suffered with them since childhood, I've tried everything, sometimes with relief, other times none.One day it was too much, so I followed my mind and tied 6 ice cubes in a bandana then tied it around my head attaching the bandana at the back, 2 cubes at the forehead, 2 on the left side, 2 on the right side, when it got too cold to bear I would remove it then after a short while put it back on, before long I was feeling better. since then whenever it gets too much to bear I use this self made remedy. It might not be right for everyone!
@vhmehta (621)
Actually you are right about the ice but it works for some people only. Sometimes even hot shower concentrated on area can be helpful. Some people get releif by cold and some get releif by hot shower.
Ususally heat works for headaches caused by sinus problems. For a real migraine, heat is usually not the solution.
@myrith (1830)
from my experience, heat makes it worse!
heat definitely makes mine worse
I suggested that to someone yesterday for a headache. Hers was sinus though, so hot compresses work better. I have used ice packs for migraines for years now. Both myself and my daughter suffer from them. We use an actual ice pack that is stays in the freezer at all times though. The bandana idea is a very good one to keep the ice cubes in place though. It also helps when using the ice pack to lay in a dark and very quiet place. Try to focus you thoughts on something happy other than the pain or just "blank out" your mind. I can empathize with the pain of a migraine, they can be horrible.
@myrith (1830)
I'm glad you and your daughter also gets relief from using cold compresses, a lot of others has also voiced relief when they use any type of cold for their headaches, point is so many people couldn't be wrong!
@Stephanie5 (2947)
I have bad migraines also and this works for me too! However, I don't use icecubes, I use a frozen individually wrapped burrito or a popcicle. It's doesn't get rid of it completely but it helps TREMEDOUSLY!!! Good Topic, Great Advice!
@myrith (1830)
Thank you!
@soldenski (2503)
I've tried to ice my migraine's. I did not help too much. I think it just made me think more of the cold on my head then of the pain, once I took it off, my head still hurt. If it works for you, Great. I would try anything to try to relieve the pain.
@myrith (1830)
You have to relax and not think cold, whenever it gets too much you remove it.
@bronie123 (4588)
Hummm that is intresting next time i get a migraine i will try this i also have had migraine since i was younger and i got to a chiropractor for them
@myrith (1830)
Does the chiropractor help you?
I have suffered from a-typical complicated migraines for years, and was recently diagnosed with pseudotumor cerebri. My body over produces spinal fluid and creates pressure type pain in the base of my skull. Make sure you are talking to your doctor and letting him know all they symptoms as it could be something more than just migraines. I had a shunt put in my spine to relieve the pressure and haven't had a migraine since!
@myrith (1830)
Thank you for sharing, I do think you should see your doctor about migraines or any other illnesses, this is in no way to be considered a cure for migraines, this is just my personal experience being shared here.
I've never had migraines but I hear they are so incredibly painful. The friends I know who do have them tend to use medical treatment. I know one friend who has to give herself shots for them & I know another one who goes to a chiropractor. Both methods seem to work for them. Glad you've found something that works for you.
@myrith (1830)
Thank you.
@ignoti (68)
Luckily I haven't had a full blown migraine in years. Although, I still get ocular migraines regularly. For those, I've found it best to just lay in the dark for an hour or so while I watch the flashing lights -- its almost turned into a sort of meditation. I'll try the ice cubes if I ever start getting them again.
@myrith (1830)
If you do use them,please let me know if they helped in any way. Thanks
@Deelema (10)
I have personally never tried it, but have had other people tell me it has helped them.
@myrith (1830)
Thanks for sharing that information!
@johnalan (64)
thanks for your info. But since i got migraines, i cant play sport very well, if i get too fatigue while playing sports game, i will feel very bad and cause me serious headache. But only medicine can stop my pain and i feel so suffer after taking the medicine. It makes me feel so hungry but i cant take any food cause i will vomit if i put anything into my stomach. If ice really can help i think it will really save alot of people. It feel not only the ache on head but also on the eyes. Does anyone have a better and more efficient way to stop migraine?
@myrith (1830)
I sincerely hope you'll find help, I can relate to the pain in the eyes, the back of the neck and all that.Ice does work for me.Thanks for the post!
@maryannemax (12168)
• Sweden
my boyfriend's bestfriend (ammie)suffers from too much pain caused by migraine almost most of the time. Ammie has been so dependent on her medications until one day, the medicines can't help her out anymore. so, she was rushed to the doctor many times. and i am glad to read about your topic. atleast i've learned something from you. thank you so much and i will suggest your new found remedy to ammie. let's hope it will work good on her!
@myrith (1830)
Thank you for sharing about your friend, and I really hope she will find relief. Please let me know!
@prasadr (872)
Oh, this is a a good idea. hope this stuff will help people who relly sufferes from this dreadfull, time killing decease. this info is helpfull
@myrith (1830)
It makes me feel good to know so many people have responded to my post, and that some of you have an idea, or already used some form of cold during a migraine attack, and it has proven cold helps. Like I said it might not be for all, and for the skeptics you're entitled..........Thanks everyone for paying attention!
@akotalagato (1335)
that is very good advice. i suffer a lot from migraine and sometimes the medicine dont work and i have to lie down just suffering. it is very debilitating. i will try it sometime and i will let you know if it works for me.
@myrith (1830)
Very good , I would like to know if it worked for you, please follow up.
@yorb24 (2180)
Wow I've never heard of this. Thanks! I'll try it if I have a headache. Or recommend to someone.
@myrith (1830)
Thats the idea! thanks for your response.
Putting cold on my head during migraines is a big help for me. They actually make long, thin ice packs to put on your head during headaches and migraines, and they're great! You don't have to worry about the ice melting all over you and your bedding (if you're lying down). When I put the ice on my head, I also wrap a towel or small blanket around my head and pull it as tight as I can. I find the pressure helps as well. Thanks for sharing this tip! ~Wyrdsister
@myrith (1830)
Yes this is how I do, I tie it as tight as I can bear it, and yes you have to have a towel for the dripping water, but it has helped me many times when all else failed!
My daughter gets migraines. I'm going to have her try that next time. I don't see why you can't use ice packs instead of cubes.
@myrith (1830)
When that migraine starts, it is whatever is at hand! Glad you found it helpful.
@besthope44 (12135)
Well i have even tried ice cubes..but i couldnot get relief. Nice its works for you. What i do is get a warm and cold water dip the towels and apply on head interchangably. This really helped.
@tmnjyk (3486)
I have migraine too and in fact I get headaches everyday since I was a like 12 years old. I don't normally take medicines but if it is severe I take 2 222.
@ironmanx (140)
Thank you for the information, and the feed back from each of you ! I will start useing an ice pack. And yes dark and quite is a requirement too ! All the Best to each you !!!******
Try drinking alot of water also that seems to help when ever I getmigraines!! I dont know if its from dehydration or what but I always drink water and they seem to let go a bit!! GOOD LUCK!!