Is reading a book becoming passe' ?

@rick615 (413)
I talk to so many people who now only read articles and blogs on the web. Book stores have almost disappeared in the US except for the mega-stores like Barnes & Noble and Borders. Do you feel that Book reading is being replaced with the increased use of the internet?
@Angelwriter (1955)
I hope not. A world where people don't read books is a sad place for me. I'm keeping up my end. Of course, I still use the internet everyday. I'm addicted to both the internet and books. Sometimes I'm on the internet and reading a book at the same time.
@SK401001 (934)
I think that is true, I still and always will love, reading books. When I go to the library the yuoung kids are mostly just their to play on the computers...
@rick615 (413)
This is one of the things that I have noticed as well. I must say that there are still a lot of people reading, but I am finding it harder to find people reading novels, other books. Obviously it is still occurring; I just fear that the best seller lists will see there overall numbers fall in 10 or 15 years as the internet usage continues to skyrocket.
@cjthedog64 (1553)
The internet is becoming more and more popular, but I don't think it's taking over as much as some people might believe. There are plenty of people without computers or internet access. I think traditional book reading is a well established thing and won't disappear anytime in the next few hundred years. There's just something special about curling up in front of a fire and turning the pages. It's simple and technology free. Easy to lose yourself in it.
@Marie2473 (8519)
• Sweden
I will never stop reading books. i just love it too much. It is my escape from reality and I find it very relaxing to read and just be lazy =) I think that people have started to read less thoough and it might have to do with the fact that there are so many other alternatives today!
@Mathurin (491)
well the interests on reading are less because there are lot of things we can be busy about... children got gadgets, even for their alphabets definitely booke readers are less than before but i don't consider it passe i don't think dan brown and jk rowling agrees with you
@Script (592)
I think reading books is becoming a little dated. In saying that however, let it be known that I own an online bookstore! I conduct all of my business on the web and spend so much time reading emails and articles online that to relax I watch television. As the last thing I want to do after a days work is read! I think reading books is like letter writing (not emailing.) There will always be people who love to read, and reading an e-book just isn't the same. You can't cuddle up in bed with your computer and read till you fall asleep. People that love books will always love books and that will never change. The greatest thing about books is that you can take them anywhere to read. It's a little harder to lug a computer to where ever it is you want to go just because the impulse to read a few pages hits you!
@goldjay (465)
I love to read books. I think people have become so lazy that they don't feel like they have time to read a whole book but I think this is the wrong message to send to kids.
I really don't think so. I believe that books will be enduring even into this new age of computers and electronics that we are getting into. One nice thing though about E-Books is that it really opens up the literature world to those who cannot get their hands on books either on loan or through a purchase. Either way, I think the most important thing is literacy. Just being able to read either is a big thing.