Children Being Slapped In Public !

@myrith (1830)
How do you deal with seeing a mother or caregiver slap children in shopping malls or anywhere in public, because they wont stop screaming or misbehaving. Should they be reported,or mind your own business. Do you consider this abuse or discipline? Serious answers only!
My husband and I had to deal with this the other day. We were at the grocery store and this woman hit her three year old(guestimate) upside the head with a bag full of blockbuster movies. I was in shock. Both of our jaws dropped b/c she not only hit her with this object, but she hit her hard. The minute the woman saw us staring she tried to act all sweet. It pissed me off and we didn't know what to do. I figured the only thing I could do was mind my own business.
Now that's one situation where I would have gotten involved. I would have called the police I think. A slap to the head for a small child is dangerous.
@myrith (1830)
Yes it's hard to watch this kind of abuse, and be powerless to do anything about it,sadly it might be something that happens frequently, and why do they always have to go for the head?
@BittyBiddy (2903)
I think if I saw a child getting a small slap because he was misbehaving, then I'd ignore it. I don't think it's right to interfere with a parent's disciplining of their child unless it's way out of line. I think that it's awful in this day and age that some parents are afraid to discipline their kids because of what others will think.
You know I'm torn on this. I was smacked as a kid and all my siblings and I turned out ok...now on that I was not severely beaten. If you feel you have to smack your kid, fine(I'm still going to give you nasty looks and stare), not my place to parent your kids, but if I see obvious extreme abuse then you bet I'm going to step in. I've done it before and I'll do it again I have no problem with that. I personally don't believe in hitting children. I believe I've put up with a lot of horrible things people have done to me (so much lawyers were brought in) and if I can deal with those horrible evil people without ripping their heads off I think I can tolerate a child screaming for a bit. I just punnish my son other ways and they work just as well.
@Stephanie5 (2947)
Ok, this is a touchy subject for some. I am a mother of lots of kids and if we are in the grocery or someplace like that and my kids get out of line, they will get a warning. If they continue to act up after the warning, depending on what they are doing, I might smack them on their bottom. Now, let me say that I would not bend them over and really spank them, but a tap to get their attention, SURE!!! Now, if I seen someone hit their kid with their fist or open handed or I thought that the parent was out of line in any way...YES, I would say something and then I would do something about it!!! I have before and I would again in an instant! My opinion is that more parents ought to have better control over their children in stores. I'm just amazed sometimes at what parents will let their children do out in public. I'm not saying beat them by any means, but geesh, have SOME control!
@mgmagana (3621)
well i don't like to c it, but it's obviously a mother discipling her child. i don't report it! but i don't like it, i won't hit my children in public, i threaten them they'll get it when we get to the car, or i'll take something away from them when we get home, or if they're outta control i'll grab their arm real hard, it's hard to tell from someone elses point of view how hard i'm grabbing them, but my kids will start crying!
@jep_toyo (1607)
Me too, i was slapped when i was a kid but i turned ok. I guess there's nothing wrong correcting your children behavior as long as its not abusive or anything. If i see blood, ill immediately report the parent!
@82idiots (595)
I think it is sad. Even if justified in some situations, it shows lack of order and respect at home. Makes everybody say, "Please, do your parenting elsewhere!"