Do you think we have taken power away from teachers?

I had an occassion recently to visit my daugher's classroom. (This was a highschool class). I was absolutely appalled at what I saw. Students talked freely, despite being asked to keep quiet, they made rude comments to the teacher, their language was terrible, they just seemed to have a total disrespect for the teacher, the education, themselves and everything! Had I said or done half of what they said and did in my highschool days, I would have been punished. It seems the teachers have no power in the classroom anymore. What do you think?
Not only from teachers, the dogooders in society have taken power from many authoritive figures including teacher, police and even parents. Kids act up because they know there are no consequences. They need guidelines and unfortunately these are not being supplied cause society have decided they infringe on kids' rights. What a joke.
Not at all i think they are anytime powerfull.
@carmat (2850)
In that respect we have taken power away from both parents and teachers when it comes to dealing with kids. It is ridiculous what kids can get away with these days, they know it and will push the boundries as far as they can.
@Dolcerina (3379)
• Hungary
I have heard about it, but I think it occurs only in Usa, and maybe in UK. It is because the children's rights. They know their rights, but they still did not know the respect. Or they still do not know the difference bettwen them.
@loved1 (5336)
They have taken this profession and made a joke of it. I am a registered daycare provider and my state laws say the kids can pretty much do whatever they want and I can't do anything about it. You have to get really creative in order to keep control. When I was in school my teachers had absolute authority. If I got in trouble at school I had better find a rock to hide under at home because my parents were going to let me have it! I have said this before and I will say it again, we are so concerned with our rights that we have forgotten our manners.
@armywifey (883)
Children these days have no respect. They are not learning it at home and the teachers no days have to teach this kids who have no respect for them or what they are doing. These school need to take more control of these kids and they should be punished for their actions. They should also talk with these kids parents.
@JoyfulOne (6242)
I think the power of the teachers, as well as the parent, has been steadily chipped away over the years. Kids learn disrespect today because they know that they can't get into trouble over it. Now they have laws protecting them from any form of punishment. When I was a kid paddling (swats) was still allowed. It didn't happen very often, and the offense that got them one swat prevented other kids from trying the same stunts. Don't get me wrong, I'm not an advocate of beating kids by any means, just some kids can't learn from other ways than getting a swat (along with the embarrassment of it), it seems. It's like kids have now learned that they have the power, and authority has none over them. A lot of parents blame the schools, and teachers, for their kids poor education, or when they don't do well in school. They don't realize that the teacher is powerless now-a-days and a lot of the kids seem to think they hold the power and take advantage of it. How can any parent expect their children to do well in school anymore when there's disruptions and disrespect all over the place?! While trying to protect children's rights, they have taken away parental rights, and authorities rights over them. They should all learn to respect authority, teachers, police, parents, etc, before they even go to school.