It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.....

@James72 (26829)
Australia
I read this quote yesterday and although I enjoy the occasional quotation I am not obessessed with them. But for some reason I have not been able to get this quote out of my mind. I find it inspiring but can't describe exactly why?? Embrace life? Fight for yourself? Stand up for what you believe in? Strange but there is no definite reasoning for me? Does anyone here on MyLot have a quote that for some reason affects them and therefore sticks with them? Even though at face value it doesn't appear to be earth shattering?
@Thomas73 (1467)
I love when old discussions suddenly come back to the surface, and I'm really sorry I missed this one. Actually, I have a nice quote from Williams Blake that I enjoy very much and that sums me up quite nicely: "Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven."
@James72 (26829)
It actually surprised me also to see this one rear its head again! What about reigning in Heaven? Thanks for responding.
@Thomas73 (1467)
Heaven is said to be a pretty boring place. Don't forget to take a good book with you if you ever end up there! ;)
@liranlgo (5748)
• Israel
i have alote of quotations i love but i'll just pick two random ones both of them are of Oscar Wilde the first one is: " I am not young enough to know everything " i do not want to explain this one but want you do discover your meaning to it. and the second is: " Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth. " this is so real to me. i think i started learning theater at the age of 6 and it always astonished me..why do we need to put on masks..why do we need to play different roles..why is it so much easier and why can't we just be ourselfs i was even more astonished when i quit the theater ans saw that in real life there are more actors then on the stage..
@James72 (26829)
I find both your quotes interesting..... Especially the second one! Maybe myLot is in itself a representation of the very mask you describe as it allows us all to anonymously say what we wish to say and be whatever we wish to be. And I agree that the world is full of actors, I see it every day and would have to say that I too am guilty of it as well on occasions! Thank you for sharing and thanks for responding.
@babyjane (1395)
"Perfect love is rare indeed - for to be a lover will require that you continually have the subtlety of the very wise, the flexibility of the child, the sensitivity of the artist, the understanding of the philosopher, the acceptance of the saint, the tolerance of the scholar and the fortitude of the certain." ~Leo Buscaglia~
@James72 (26829)
Master all of these qualities and the world is your oyster! Thanks for sharing and responding.
@Darkwing (21588)
I like that quote! I have a few which I use in my 360 Blast, and which I change from time to time. These are: We are here and it is now. Further than that, all human knowledge is moonshine. Learn to get in touch with the silence within yourself and know that everything in this life has a purpose. No one can go back and make a brand new start but anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. The measure of love is when you love without measure. Do not walk behind me, I may not lead. Do not walk in front of me, I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend. What should it profit a man if he would gain the whole world, yet lose his soul? No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. Better beans & bacon in peace than cakes & ale in fear. Look not back in anger, nor forward in fear but around you in awareness. Even in the desolate wilderness, stars can still shine. Life is too deep for words, so don't try to describe it, just live it. If you go in search of honey, you must expect to encounter bees. All of these have meaning for me, and I use them all regularly. I can't pick one particular one out.
@James72 (26829)
Wow! These are some great quotations darkwing. I especially like the "Do not walk behind me....." quote. There is one quote in particular that I have kept in my head for many years now but this one I actually CAN explain in terms of its full meaning in my life. It goes as follows: "A lopsided man runs fastest up the little sidehills of success" Frank Moore Colby I have always considered myself to be a little "left of centre" so this quotation complements me perfectly! Thanks for responding.