My son is addicted to gaming

Netherlands
My 12 year old son is addicted to gaming on internet. When he comes out off school he makes his home-work and after that he starts gaming. We have to force him to quitte. What is the best solution here. We can't forbid him to sit behind the computer becaurse he also needs it for school. I want a fair sollution. Can you give me some.
@jmcafam (2891)
You can have him earn the right to play the game online.Such as doing chores. Like for every chore his does and does to your liking you can give him so many minutes on the game.Or you could just give him a set time that he can play and time that he has to be off the game by.This way he gets to play but not stay on all day long.
• Netherlands
That is a great sollution. I just didn't think off that. Thanks.
@SplitZip (1490)
• Portugal
You need to get him interested in activities that don't require a computer. Like for instance, buy him a musical instrument and have him take classes. Or something else, like sports. Something that takes him away from the computer, but that he also enjoys.
• Netherlands
He plays soccer at a high level. Goes to school on his bysikkle. It isn't that he doesn't do anything else but once he games he doesn't hear or see anyhting.
@SplitZip (1490)
• Portugal
If he is involved in other activities and you're still worried that he might be playing too much on the computer, you might still want to consider gettting him interested in something else. Let's say you convince him to spend less time playing on his computer. He'll still have to kill that free time doing something else? Maybe you could get him to help around the house or something similar, but it's a lot easier to convince a child to do something enjoyable than to do a chore :D I guess that depends on how obedient your son is.
• Netherlands
He is obedient. Besides his computer as I told in an other comment he playes soccer at a high level. He still likes to go to the trainings and the games on saturday and I am very glad that he still does. In the summer it's easy. He goes to the swimmingpool whenever he can. It's just the last past months that he's gaming too much. I will thing off something to do for him. Mayby rewarding him for it, I have to think about it.
Do like I do my son. Give him a time limit on the gaming and explain it does hurt their eyes if sitting too long in front of a computer. My son depending on what time he has left during the day, he gets an hour to two hours to play.
• Netherlands
We told him this weekend that he gets a limited time now. He was crying but told us he understood it. We hope it will be a succes.
@mom2boys (334)
what exactly does he use it for for school?? what about supervising and limiting his computer time, might help.
@ashjoe76 (1434)
That is too bad. it is difficult to get them away from games, at this age. but if he is really addicted to it, you must use some strong tactic, or even seek professional help. because, if you let go at this time, you may never get him back.
@cyfernet (2384)
u need to make a time for his gaming. i think the best time would be when he comes from school, the time is usually spent in having some snack but he can eat something that fills his stomach fast and then play computer games for an hour. it could also refresh his mind and then he can concentrate on his studies better plus it can reduce the temptation of sitting on computer when he is doing homework.
@Rumple (301)
• South Africa
I dont see why it should be a problem if he is doing all of his homework and tehn playing online. Yes games are addictive but once they are complete they soon get boring. Maybe prevent him from purchasing any more games or set a certain time for him to play. maybe for an hour a day or for a couple of hours a day or something like that. Either that or just take his graphics card out because that is what you need to play the games these days. But you will need to reconfigure with another card so that he can still use his computer as he needs to for school. another option is maybe removing some of the RAM so his computer will not be able to cope with the game and he will therefore not be able to play.
@Sissygrl (10914)
restrict the amount of time he is allowed to use it for gaming, say an hour for homework and then maybe two hours for gaming before or after super. and maybe if you say something like.. you can extra 15 minutes added each time you help around the house... you might even get some chores out of him!