Birthday present problem....?

These 2 friends of mine birthdays are coming up, one i have known for over 6 years (S) and the other only one year (J) S always seems to buy me cheap meaningless gifts, and J spends a reasonable amount on me. Problem is, both of their birthdays are pretty much at the same time, one after the other....now if i buy J an expensive gift and S a cheap one, she'd feel ripped off and betrayed because we spent more on someone we hardly know and less on her - what shall i do? I dont want to spend too much on S because she hardly spends any on me, but then i keep thinking she would compare her (cheaper) gift to the gift i gave J.... Any ideas what the right thing to do is?
@anil_762001 (1636)
I think you would purchase the pretty gift for that who you feel she is much closer to me and much caring to me.
I think ur suggestion is useable. wel thanks for response.
I give you best response.
so, are you saying the basis for the gifts is the price for each one? how about the meaning you put into the gift? for example, a book that you read which reminds you so much of your friend... if price is the only basis, then how about just giving a card...and include some cash...
thanks