My parents live with me.

@quispy (572)
My husband and I bought a 2 family house 3 years ago and my parents moved in with us. They have their own apartment. As soon as my husband is gone in the morning, up comes my mother. She gets in the way of our morning routine and we I end up angry because I end up biting my tongue. As soon as we are home in the afternoon, here she is again. She will find any excuse to come up here and get in the middle of anything. Especially if I am disciplining any of them. Then she is calling them "come here, I have something for you". It is really getting on my nerves and she doesn't take criticism well at all. She will not talk for days if you try to bring up something and try to find a solution, so it just ends up going back to the way it was in order to keep the peace. But where is MY peace????
When she calls your children over to her while you are disciplining them call the kids back and tell them you are not done talking to them. Don't let her go over you. Keep butting in like she isn't even talking to them. She'll either get the hint, you don't want her help or she won't come up quite as much because she is angry. Let her know who the boss is. I don't know how to tell you to get her to go home. My mom calls me like every 2 hours. If I really don't want to talk, I just get real quiet and she gets the hint and says she has a few things to do. She hasn't ever gotten angry about it though. Good Luck!
@quispy (572)
She does get angy and I have told her that I'm not done with them, or that they are in their rooms and I will tell them to come and see her when the are off punishment. I have on occasion just said, Go home already! Then she does and doesn't talk to anyone for a few days. And takes it out on my poor dad!
@sedel1027 (17851)
The easiest thing to do is change all of your locks and keep your doors locked so she can't get into your home. I would write her a letter explaining how you feel andyou need your own space. If she gets mad and decides not to come around, let her. She needs to have things of her own to do. Encourage her to find friends and join groups that do activites that she enjoys.
@quispy (572)
The problem is that we NEVER locked the doors between our parts of the house. I only close the door when I am mad at her, or don't want her intruding. I tried keeping it closed for a few days recently, but then she is pounding on the door, saying she can't open it! Neither she nor my father drive, so that is another problem, and they both feel somewhat displaced because they don't know anyone here!
@Bizziebod (3526)
Hi quispy, It sounds like a difficult situation and only really one that you can sort out by talking. Why not cook a lovely family dinner and try and talk then? Try telling her how hard it is for you and say to her that you need to discipline your children in your own way! It's hard but you can't bite your tongue forever else you may snap one day, have a huge arguement and divide the family in two! Hope all goes well **HUGS**