Cursive Writing, Importance of Children Learning it ?

@catherIN (430)
With technology being what it is.It seems like computers are used every where.Once you are out of school,do people really use cursive handwriting now? Computers , books, newspapers, magazines, etc are all printed. How important do you feel it is for children to learn to write in cursive? Do you think there will come a time that it will just be a thing of the past?
I think cursive writing is still important . It is supposed to be faster then printing once you know how to do it and that is why they teach it . It is true everything is in printing but even with all the technology we have out there today , some things will just never die out because they are still usefull in different . For example a waitress does not have use for a computer so they have to still be able to write something fast .
@catherIN (430)
Thank you for replying. True, cursive is faster for most people.But, there really doesn't seem to be many situations that require it. You mention waitresses. True, they don't usually carry computers. First, most waitresses I know use a special form of shorthand. I say special since the different restraunts seem to have different ways of using shorthand. Actually most of them print. Also, I have seen something new at a couple of restraunts. Some places now have the waitresses carrying little I-Pod like things with a touch screen. My husband mentioned the need for cursive when it comes to signatures. That is true. But, has anyone noticed that alot of things now have a way for electronic signatures. In many situations, even checks are being bypassed for debit cards. The Unemployment payments in my state are now issued on a debit card. If you fill out an official document or application, they all have to be printed.The exception is your signature. All that being said, I am teaching or have taught cursive to my children. I just got thinking about all the harwork and stress that kids go through to learn cursive, only to later end up using it so seldom.
@sunnypub (2130)
Cursive sure isn't faster for me. I can print must faster. And as for signatures, now a days many people have signatures that I wouldn't classify as cursive. I mean as long as your signature is consistent, It can pretty much be anything you want it to be. Mine is a big scramble and many people make fun of it, but it is mine. My brother writes a big K and then just a long line after that. Most official documents want you to print because it is easier to read. I am not sure why cursive is necessary but I am okay with my daughter leraning it, I just can't give her a good reason as to why she has to learn it.
@sunnypub (2130)
Turthfully I don't understand its importance. I never use cursive. I can't even think of a situation that would require cursive. My daughter is learning it right now and she wonders why she needs it. I can't give her a good reason, actually I can't even give her any reason other than the school requires it. I already think it should be a thing of the past. I am happy to hear anyone's thoughts on why it is important.
@catherIN (430)
That is one situation I can relate to. Some of my kids have asked why they need to know it. Signatures are the main reason I see where they will have to use it.
@catherIN (430)
I had hoped more people would reply to this.I am really curious as to what others think about the importance of cursive writing.It's hard to explain to my children why it's important, when I'm not sure.