A Warning was given against this German church today. Why to us??

On the 700 Club this morning Pat Robertson gave a warning about this church in Germany. It has been linked to Ebay selling unwanted donations. According to Mr. Robertson this a a very dangerous sect and appeals on his 700 club members to protest against it. If you notice it has an AMERICAN pastor. Your opinion please does he think it is a threat to us here in America? Tolerance Stops at the Church Doors By Dale Hurd CBN News February 5, 2007 CBNNews.com - COLOGNE, Germany - Today's Germany likes to think of itself as "tolerant." All sorts of lifestyles are embraced by their society: homosexuality, trans-genderism, even radical Islam. But some say that tolerance has a limit, and it apparently stops at the door of one Bible-believing church. The church, called Christliche Gemeinde Köln or Christian Church of Cologne, says it has had to endure years of government harassment and discrimination, even having its tax-exempt status temporarily revoked. The church and the homes of several church leaders were raided by tax police last year. And the church now stands accused of tax evasion. Robinson says that the various Lisa Jones Haus locations donate about five million tons of furniture each year, and serve 50,000 free meals. But the church still accumulates so many donated items that it set up a for-profit taxable company to sell unwanted items on E-Bay. Germany is where Protestant Christianity began. And yet this spirit-filled, Bible-based Church, which would be commonplace in America, is looked upon with suspicion as a dangerous cult, and a sinister influence. The church is led by AMERICAN Pastor Dr. Terry Jones. Jones said, "If you're a part of this church, you can lose your job, you could have your kids taken away from you." AMERICAN attorney Joel Thornton is helping defend the church. "If you called and asked someone in the government here in Cologne, 'What do you think about this church?' -- they would tell you that this is a 'sect,' which in Germany means a dangerous cult, which means you're in danger of losing your life here in some way," explained Thornton. This local newspaper story about the church accuses it of "psycho-terror." This article says the church "perverts the biblical message," and uses "psychological tricks" that can lead to health problems. An undercover news investigation on German national television once compared the church's charismatic worship service to the film The Exorcist. But Germany is a country where the churches are not supposed to be successful. In fact, the state churches are mostly empty, and get most of their operating money through government handouts. And when tax officials thought the church was intentionally evading taxes, they launched a massive simultaneous dawn raid on the church, the Lisa Jones Haus locations, and even the homes of the church workers. Robinson said, "I'm standing there at 7:30, I'm on the phone, and I'm getting one telephone call after another." …from panicked Church workers wondering why German tax agents were looking through their files, under mattresses, even removing carpeting. Pastor Rob's wife Erica watched agents ransack her home, seizing the family's computers and financial records, even going through their underwear drawers. Erica said, "They were convinced…they were convinced that we were criminals." Ronald Reichert is an elder in the church and also a noted German attorney who is representing the church in court. Reichert said, " There is a culture of suspicion because it is a church, a religious organization that does not fit normal patterns and normal expectations of German society. There's this feeling there must be something wrong about this…and they're trying to prove this. They were trying to do so from the very beginning." But the case against the church is apparently not going well, because the tax authority of North Rhine Westphalia has already dropped one of the charges of tax evasion. Reichert expects the church to be completely exonerated, after which it intends to sue the tax authority for breaking the law. But the years of intolerance faced by this church have not caused it to back down from its mission to bring Cologne and Germany back to Christ. The church intends to press on. Jones closed one of his recent sermons with this: "Regardless of what the government says, regardless of what society says, and regardless of what standards they have, we're going to be a part of the kingdom of God… because the only hope for Germany is the kingdom of God."
@lonewolfnan (4367)
I might not fully understand what the point is about this story and the concerns by The 700 Club. Most of the churches in Germany are government-funded. If a church uses excess merchandis given to it from an outside source to sell on eBay thus trying to be self-sufficient it is bad. If a church asks you for money and offers you a place in heaven,this is religion? Do I have that right? Mr. Robertson has had recent problem of opening his mouth and making headlines.He seems to have been doing alot of things to grab attention. I do not know much about this particular religious sect but I would like to know why the german government feels it needs closer observation.Are they worried about a Jimmy Jones case or loss of taxes from income?IF they are worried for the safety of the (sheep) members,then please look into it to save lives.
If it is safety the German government is worried about then you are correct they need to investigate. I dont think it is any of our business about churches in another country. We do seen seem to "bite of more than we can chew" when we poke our noses into other folk's business. One thing I am curious about why did an American preacher go to Germany to start up a new church. Did he already try here and if so why did it fail?
I don't pay a lot of attention to the 700 club, let alone it's leaders. If they had a lot of donations, that they were not able to use outright, then why not try to sell them to increase money in the church for the programs that they are trying to fund. Pat Robertson has a lot of nerve casting blame on a church's practices, whem he himself will go on tv, and cry for money from people that actually take him seriously. If this isn't the pot calling the kettle black, I don't kow what is. If there is actual proof that this church really is a cult, and they are doing what is claimed, then let the government of Germany deal with it, why does Pat Robertson feel that it is necessary for him to get involved in something that he has no business getting involved in, unless they stole his idea of using e-bay.
I'm afraid that I find TV religious programs are all in it for the money. You make some good points and confirmed what I was thinking when I posted this discussion. Thanks
@sunshinecup (7880)
I don't get the connection here at all. Why is the 700 club jumping on the band wagon? I don't know why this church is a threat to anyone. If they are a cult, then the gossip and rumors will kill it's membership, I would think. This story has me so confused...
@Lakota12 (42681)
wow they sound like the IRS here thought all churchs were just that churchs dont care if I go to church or not just cause people like to go to this one and also donate things does not make it a sect!