Any home remedies for Lice out there???

@imsilver (1667)
Once again lice is running rampant through our school system here. Pardon the pun but it's driving me absolutely buggies!!! It seems that if it's within 10 feet of my daughter she catches them. I'm so tired of paying $20 for the special shampoos that don't seem to really do much. Does anyone out there have a tried and true home remedy to get rid of the little buggers? I'd really like to know before she comes home with them again.
@rapolu_cs (1184)
You are correct. It is a big problem for mothers to keep away their children from lice but there is a simple method by which one can throw them out from the scalp,but atime taking process. Soak the cumin seeds in a sour curd for overnight and in the morning make apaste out of it and apply it to the sclap allow it to stand for 1\2hr and wash the hair with some shikakai or kunkudukai and then see the results. Continue this process twice a week it will leave your scalp free from lice and there is no chance for lice to come back and even you will find your hair very soft and silky. Try this with patience.
@imsilver (1667)
I haven't heard of either shikaki or kunkudukai but I'll look into them. Thank you for your response.
@dickkell (403)
Lice don't jump, so the cheapest solution would be to teach her not to share hair supplies pillows and the like. If she wears a coat with a hood, don't hand it next to other coats, etc. Lice can only be spread by DIRECT contact, so figuring out the ways she's been contacting them will help end it quick. Also, lice have a very limitted life span and only live like 3-5 days (according to a nurse I know) without human contact, so, to prevent reinfection, isolate her room for two weeks or so after her infection clears up. I've also heard that high heat drying will kill them on bedding. Hope it helps. Just thinking about the little buggers makes my scalp feel all crawly! Good luck!
@imsilver (1667)
I've actually argued with the teacher about this. Apparently my daughter HAS to hang her coat up on this tiny little hook where it is jammed in with all the other jackets. I've asked that she be allowed to put it over the back of her desk chair but apparently that isn't allowed.
I have not personally tested this idea, but I've been told that tea tree oil works. You can mix it in with regular shampoo, or buy special shampoos with it in there.
@imsilver (1667)
the tea tree oil is good at preventing lice but it doesn't actually kill the little buggers. I've got a tea tree shampoo ($12 for a small bottle!!) and I got a thing of oil that I put in conditioner to spray her hair with. All it seems to take is one rushed morning when I forget to spray her on her way out the darn door.
@design (849)
My oldest Daughter got head lice at a party a few years ago, (horrible) we've used t tree oil in our shampoo's since and can thankfully report no more cases of the little buggers. Don't use it all the time, about every 6/8 washes should keep them away.
@aweins (4200)
according to the American Academy of Pediatrics Nix is currently the recommended treatment for head lice. its treatment is within 7-10 days if live lice are seen. try this also. its a home remedy. 1. mix half cup olive oil with 2-3 table spoon of tea tree oil. Rub into scalp and leave it on for 30 min. wash your hair to remove the oil. then rinse your hair with vinegar. as nit loosens the holding properties of the eggs and nits on your hair. wait for 10 min. and rinse it witrh hot water. repeat vinegar rinse twice. comb your hair using lice or flea comb to remove any remaining nits. 2. Mix 4-5 drops of tea tree oil with your daily shampoo and use as usual. 3. completely soak your hair with olive oil and wrap it in towel for 1-2 hrs. rinse and wash aas usal work through your hair with fine tooth comb to remove any eggs and lice. you can repeat this treatment.
@mememama (3077)
ditto on the tea tree oil, when I worked in a natural foods store, parents swore by that stuff. You can put it in shampoo, just be careful not to get it in their eyes, it's smelly and it can sting! good luck! tea tree oil is also good for dandruff ;)
@Bizziebod (3526)
Baby Oil - I swear by it and it does your hair a world of good too! Put alot on the hair and use a 'nit' comb to get them out apparantly it suffocates them, do this once a week and after two or three weeks they should all be gone! Although unfortunatley kids do pick them up quite often at school! Be aware it does make the hair greasy for a couple of washes but it is quite good for your hair!