Remembering your ROOTS through recipes

@BlackBay (584)
I come from Hungarian-Croatian parents and my husband is Finn and sometimes cook from tradition recipes from our Heritages. Do you cook from your Heritage and what do you make? We make Mojaka(finn),Makosbeigli(hungarian),Mosaka(croation)for example.
@krebstar5 (1266)
When we want to remember our roots, we make meatballs and sauce from scratch. As my father was telling me, every Italian-American family has their own recipe that they pass down and compare with others through the years. We also make Bakala (not sure how you spell it) which is a dried salted cod. No one seems to like it that much, but it is supposed to remind us of "where we game from." At least that is what my dad says. I just get reminded of how little I like the way it tastes.
@draconess (651)
My heritage is partly Ukrainian, and I do make homemade perogies and cabbage rolls from scratch. The family recipe is just soooo much better than anything you can buy in a store, the time that goes into it definately pays off.
@mccullar (124)
i would love to know how to make your cabage rolls. i had a friend who passed and she use to make those and they were good! see reasons like that is why i am trying to start this darn cookbook. anyhow off the topic! but it is good that it pays off!
@hazydazy (783)
My mother-in-law is Japanese, so I have learned a few recipes from her to cook for my husband. I can make a mean Teriyaki. I also make Sukiyaki, Sushi, and a few other things.
@mccullar (124)
most eveything i make is from my portuguese back growned. i dont really know how to cook any other way. i mean i can cook other things bt they seem to have its own flair. but now that i have been married my hubby dose not like some of the spices that i use so i have had to change my recipies, that is why i have started a family cookbook! but to answer your questino yes i do. i make a soup a kayle soup, roast, cakes, bread and other things the portuguese way!
@brimia (6585)
My mom makes a lot of wonderful traditional Italian dishes. She makes delicious wedding soup, gnocchi, pizza, homemade pasta/noodles and sauce, and pasta fagioli.
well, my mom makes many traditional dishes, n i like them all very much. i really like the traditional foods of India.