Quick and Easy Homemade Maple Syrup

I use syrup for many things from peanut butter and syrup sandwichs, put it on my baked ham and of course on waffles and pancakes. We use pure maple syrup but sometimes we run out and before we get to puchase some, someone wants pancakes. This is a recipe that my grandmother used to use when she cooked for the railroad. My mother used it and I too use it. It is not as good as pure Maple syrup but it is pretty good. Maple Syrup 1 cup water 2 cups sugar 2 teaspoons of Maple Extract Pour sugar into a small pan. Slowly pour the water on the sugar. Heat on High until mixture starts to boil. No need to stir. Check to see that all the sugar is disolved. It they are not then boil it for another 15-20 seconds. Take off heat and pour the maple extract into it. It is ready to use. It stores well in the coabinet. DO NOT Store In the Refrigerator
@brendalee (6083)
I tend to run out of syrup a lot. This recipe seems very easy to do. But I have to wonder...why can't you put it in the refrigerator? Thanks for sharing this recipe.
It turns back into sugar, grainy and such
@brendalee (6083)
Oh ok, that makes sense.
Thanks for the recipe. I will try it as well as making almond syrup by substituting almond extract.
I was wondering if the richness of taste would still be the same? It is a very good idea, thanks for posting it.
I think it will depend on your personal preference. My husband likes it better than pure maple syrup.
@Polly1 (12647)
Thanks for the recipe, I love recipes handed down, specially from grandmas. They always had the best food.
@Bev1986 (1427)
Oh wow! I'm going to have to copy that down! I hate it when we plan to have pancakes or waffles and realize we don't have any syrup! Now we can make out own! Thanks so much!
yum yum ...Hey thanks for that I bet my family will love it..
Oh yes I also use this recipe. My grandmother taught me how to make this syrup when I was just a teen. It is very good and my son prefers that I make this then to buy syrup out of the store.
@lvap0628 (731)
Thanks villageanne, i will try this at home.
@TerryZ (22083)
I have made maple syrup but Im willing to give it a shot so where do you get maple extract from I guess in the spice isle. Right? Thanks again for another great one.
yes, it is withe the spices and vanilla etc.
@suscan (1955)
I want to give this a try. My Mother made homemade syrup when we were young. I have never tried it,but this gieves me a reason since I have the recipe.
Thanks for the recipe, im always looking for ones like this, I love maple syrup and hate it when I run out because the shops are 50 minutes away, so this one will surely come in handy.
How cool, a quick fix for maple syrup. I will use this when the maple syrup runs out for sure. Thank you for sharing yet another great tip and recipe.