The Birth of the Xenar Age

Her head swiveled back towards me and I leaned back involuntarily. Her eyes. Sort of shimmering blue and gold, focused on mine for what seemed like an eternity, and then she looked away. What had I seen in that short glimpse? "Do they all do that?", I asked, a little weirded out. It seemed that we were on the brink of something, here. I didn't know what, but I could sense it. "No. She's special. That's my special baby girl, you're looking at." Behind me, the dark, raspy voice of Dr. Dyer could be heard through the console. He wasn't in the room with us. I wondered why he always watched this from afar. "I thought they were ALL special, James." I took another look at her. She was playing some game with her fingers. They were intertwined, and she was wiggling one, and then she'd giggle. Wiggle one. Giggle. Something any ordinary girl would do at that age. Come to think of it, how old WAS she? I'd have to ask, but not now. More important things to discuss like how we were going to keep this a secret. We didn't want anyone else knowing the tests we were running. His voice interrupted my train of thought, "They are, but she- she's got something they don't. I don't know exactly how to explain it." "Damn!...not again", he swore softly. "What's a matter?...what happened?" "Oh-spilled my coffee. I'm such a klutz sometimes. I really should look into getting a thermos. The wife won't let me hear the end of it. Says that she can't imagine how a manage to drive a car, talk on the cell phone, and drink my coffee all at the same time without getting into a wreck." "Maybe you should look into getting a thermos", I advised, absentmindedly, still trying to figure out the puzzle set before me. "I just said that. Are you alright? Need me to call for emergency attention from the doctor's office? I hear Laura's a real looker." I tuned back in to what he was saying... "...swear you can't tell these days. They say that a guy's alright in the head, but DAMN!!! Third time's a charm...I can't believe this! I'm definitely going to get a thermos." "That's what I've been telling you." "Nooooo. That's what Sherry's been nagging me about. Scott. Hey! Earth to Scott. How ya doin' buddy? I know this is real entertaining and all, but my instincts tell me you need some rest." "Mmmm...I don't know. I just want to run a few more tests before we finish out the night." "They'll be fine here with me, Scott. Listen, did I ever tell you about my friend Eddie Wochak? He liked to stay up nights like you do. Guess what happened? Guess, man. Can you guess? I'll tell you what happened. He had gone five straight days without sleep as sort of a little bet with these guys he hung around with. Five days and no sleep. Can you believe it? Anyway, he started complaining about people following him, and how they had it in for him. He was even convinced at one point, that someone was trying to poison him! He looked bad man, real bad. That could be you. That could be you, ya know? HEY! Are ya listening to me? What did I just say? Go get some rest Scottie boy. Let me handle this one. They'll all be here in the morning, I assure you. No one's gonna come in the middle of the night and sneak them off to another country or somethin'." It's funny how you can just fade everything out into the background when you're concentrating real hard on something. Tara froze. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a flash. "What the hell was that!?" James was leaning forward and peering through the glass partition, thirty feet up. The little girl spread her hands wide, mumbling and then began to sway back and forth and side to side, like she was doing a belly dance. I would have laughed at the ridiculousness of it all, if it hadn't been so eerie. She was kneeling and her eyes were shut. A blue ethereal mist seemed to gather around her form. An aura of pulsing blue was slowly stretching out in all directions. "Holy sh-t. Do you see that? Tell me you see what I'm seeing. Scott, do you see it?" James was frantically trying to untangle himself from all the wires dangling around his chair, so that he could race down as fast as his spindly legs would have carried him. "Shut up you idiot!", I hissed through clenched teeth. If he made any more racket, she might stop. I didn't want her to stop. Whatever she was doing-I'd never seen anything like it. The walls seemed to shimmer. I rubbed my eyes. I must be tired. The girl bent forward, and in a snap instant, just like that, the light was gone. It seemed to shrink back up inside that tiny body of hers, which was now lying on the floor. Her blonde hair was matted with sweat, and as I came closer, I noticed tears staining her cheeks.
@xParanoiax (6997)
Good writing, enough to catch one's intrest too -- especially people like me who's curiousity tends to be more than their willpower can keep in check lol.
It was just a whim. Thought I'd try my hand at doing fantasy/sci-fi thing. Problem was, I started getting sucked in, right when I needed to get to bed! Thanks for the encouragement!