Circumcision and the bible

@stacyv81 (5904)
In the bible it says men should be circumcised, So, what happens if he isnt? is that a sin? A sin of him or his parents? Just curious of peoples thoughts on this.
@Kaeli72 (1230)
There's a reason G-d told people to do this or that isn't because he didn't have anything else to do, it's because since he created us, he knows what's best. Circumsion...it's done because it's a health benifit for the male. For one, it keeps them cleaner and less chance of STD's. It's not a sin not to have one done. That's what set the Jews and Gentiles apart. G-d's not worried about the foreskin from a male, he wants us to circumsize the foreskin of our hearts. In other words, we need to take off that bitterness and hate that ceases us from loving G-d with all our hearts, mind and soul.
@stacyv81 (5904)
I agree that you should have it done, but why did he create men with foreskin if he wanted us to take it off?
@nicolec (2673)
I"m sorry Kaeli but that's the biggest BS I have ever heard. The circumsition is a sign of our covenant with god. It is a sign of our devotion to him: God said to Abraham, "As for you, you shall keep my covenant, you and your offspring after you throughout their generations. This is my covenant, which you shall keep, between me and you and your offspring after you: Every male among you shall be circumcised. You shall circumcise the flesh of your foreskins, and it shall be a sign of the covenant between me and you. Throughout your generations every male among you shall be circumcised when he is eight days old, including the slave born in your house and the one bought with your money from any foreigner who is not of your offspring. Both the slave born in your house and the one bought with your money must be circumcised. So shall my covenant be in your flesh an everlasting covenant. Any uncircumcised male who is not circumcised in the flesh of his foreskin shall be cut off from his people; he has broken my covenant." Genesis, chapter 17 verses 9-14 Christianity does not prescribe circumcision. The first Church Council in Jerusalem decided that circumcision was not a requirement.
@stacyv81 (5904)
Ok, so not challenging you nicole in anyway, but just curious, so please dont take offense to this, but you are jewish, right? Dont you guys circumsize during the bat mitzvah stage? If I am wrong by all means correct me, but you just quoted the circumcision should be done at 8 days. Again, I am confused, and please, dont be offended, just wondering.
@ReyM21 (281)
I think it's a covenant of God and the male Old Testament Jews-- meaning they were set apart compared to other races who didn't know circumcision. It's not considered a sin, but most Jews treat those uncircumcised as an 'outcast' to their belief/ tradition.
@nicolec (2673)
Yes, you are right that it was a convenant between god and his people. For his people to show a devotion to Him. However, it is considered a sin, IF you are Jewish, to not have a cicrcumsition.