A house full of pack rats!

At least once a year I go thru the whole house and get rid of things that we no longer use or need. I go thru my kids rooms at least twice a year. But both my dh and I are pack rats. We have a lawn mower in the garage that doesn't work! I just can't bring myself to throw away things that are in perfectly good shape, even though I have no use for it. We sell some fo the stuff on ebay, but if it doesn't sell, it just continues to take up space in the house! What do I do?
@dixielol (1581)
Have you ever heard of free cycle? Here is the link: http://www.freecyclefinder.org/ It is a free site were people give there stuff away that they no longer need. All you do is find your local one & join it. Then just list the stuff that you want to give away on there. Of course, you wont make any money doing it this way. But at least you will get rid of some of your old stuff. Other then that, you can donate your things to a homeless shelter or other non profit organization. But on free cycle, you may also be able to find something that you would like to have. Hope that helps you some!
I am a member of freecycle and I try to give more then I get. BUt I can only give my stuff, when it comes to hubby's, he's the one that has to part with it. :)
@gapeach65 (805)
Unfortunately, my family is also full of pack rats. It must be a defective gene or something, maybe one day the cycle will end. Have you tried craigslist? you can look it up in most states. You can either buy, sell, get or give away stuff for free. It's great, you may have to travel a bit to pick stuff up, or wait for people to pick stuff up from you, but if it helps clean up, it may be worth the wait. Good luck!
@SachseMom (449)
What about finding a good church or charity close to your house that could use the stuff! I can't stand pack rats and I go thru the house once a month cleaning and packing stuff up to go and give to the church. They look forward to me bringing stuff and it goes to good use. My dad was a pack rat and growing up it drove me crazy that we had 5 lawn mowers in the garage, 6 bikes that you couldn't even ride. It feels good to know that my old stuff is going to someone that really needs it and it's not going to waste. Plus, it's a tax write off if that helps!