Cell Phones and Driving......

Do you use your cell phone while you are driving a car? Do you feel this is unsafe and should be banned in all states? If I have to make a call while driving, I usually will pull over and make my phone call. I do admit though that if my phone rings while I am driving, I will answer it. Normally is it one of my kids calling and the call is really quick.
Driving - Driving needs concentration
Using a mobile phone while driving is illegal in the UK. In the light of the number of serious and fatal accidents caused by motorists yacking on their mobile phones nstead of concentrating on the road. I have my mobile with me in the car and have a hands free set fitted, but even so I will not use the mobile while driving at all.
No dear, I can't especially if I'm driving with my daughter. I'm so afraid of accidents and its consequences. I don't even try even to respond to calls while driving. I've been hit once by some fast driving crazy driver, wasn't even using a cellphone that time. Happily it was just a minor bump. But it left a mark on my daughter. And the laws here in the Philippines forbid driving while using a cellphone. Because it was proven of causing a lot of car accidents. And these laws have major sanctions too. Scary! (^^,) And if someone keep on texting or calling me, I just pull over a safe place and get a look or answer the call. Have a nice day! (^^,)
Thank you for the BR mark Daycarepal. (^^,)
You are very welcome :) I appreciate your response.
@castleghost (1304)
I will not use my cell phone while I am driving , not even to answer a call. When I place the car in park I will take a moment to see who called and why. In the state I live in people are allowed to talk on their cell phones if the use hands free option. I have been in a couple of fender benders that happened because the person wasn't paying attention to their driving because of answering their cell phone. One even said " I only took my eyes off the road for a moment to grab my cell phone." It only takes a moment to have an accident that may kill yourself or someone else. If someone feels that a call is that important all they need to do is pull off the road and place their car in the park position to answer the phone.
You are exactly right. It only takes a moment to have an accident that may kill someone.
@creematee (2810)
I try not to use it while driving. It is, after all, illegal to drive while on the cell in Iowa. That doesn't mean people do it. I think, too, the cops can't just pull you over if you are on your phone, there has to be another reason to stop you. When I do use it, it's usually to call my hubby and tell him I'm on my way to see him, confirm an appointment, or get directions. My phone is pre-paid minutes, so I try not to waste them by talking and talking. Each minute costs money! :)
@HighReed1 (1126)
I use my cell while driving. I have a hands-free headset and voice-command on my phone. There are certain people that shouldn't drive with a cell. I have driven near people that can't seem to work the gas or brake pedals and talk on the phone. I think if people are going to drive and talk, they should use a headset. It would be alot safer.
@jade1986 (567)
No i make it a point to park the car somewhere and then attend the call. Else if that is not possible, I will call back when i can park it, but while driving i never attend a phone call. It affects your concentration, and as common sense says, while driving a car, you need to be attentive, and concentrate on driving only.
@shan_ab (377)
Yes.. Like driving and drinking is dangerous, driving and talking over phone also is dangerous that too in busy city traffic. Once traffic police caught my husband doing that adn we were fined also. It is always good not to hold teh cellphone and talk while driving. Or we can use a handsfree kit..
I admit I do use the phone in my car. But I'm quick to drop it in my lap for any reason I see necessary. I also do think though that some people should not use their phones while driving. I wouldn't be upset at all if they made it illegal to drive and talk on the phone at the same time. I think it would be best for everyones safety for those few who can't pay attention to the road and their conversation at the same time. I just wanted you to know though I wasn't meaning you in those statements :)
@jason_co (408)
i always use celphone when i am driving. i always send SMS to my friends and to my family. i know that im not doing the right thing, but i have some precaution. i slow down when im txting. just minimise some accident.
I don't have a problem with people driving on their cell phones as long as they are still paying attention to the road. Multi-tasking is a skill that everyone doesn't possess. The only time that I have a problem driving and talking on my cell phone is when the weather is bad outside. I have even mastered parallel parking while holding my cell phone in my hand. At the same time I get very frustrated with people who are on their cell phones and they are veering back and forth in traffic as well as people who drive way below the flow of traffic. Those are the people that make it dangerous. I wouldn't object to the state making it manadatory for you to pass a driving test while holding your cell phone in order to be able to drive with one legally. To those people get a headset! It doesn't have to be wireless and it is much cheaper than the deductible on your insurance if you were to cause an accident. With my crazy schedule litterally the only time I am able to talk on the phone is while traveling between jobs. People are taking to too far with trying to text while driving or trying to access your PDA or callendar. Talking on the phone doesn't require taking your phone off the road, texting does.
@misheleen73 (6037)
I will answer the phone while driving if I know the ring. I have everyone important in my life with their own ring tone. If I recognize the ring, I'll answer it. If it is going to be a detailed call, I'll pull into a parking lot somewhere. If it's a quick "pick up some bread on your way home" type call, I'll just handle it and move on. I think texting while driving is ridiculous and there is no way anyone can say they are watching the road and texting. You have to look at the phone to text. At least answering, you just flop it open or press 1 key no need to look at the phone for that.
No, I don't use my cell phone when I am driving...unless they call and it is a super quick kind of thing. But I will not make any phone calls myself when I am on the road. I think it is reckless and I often see people that drive worse than drunks when they are talking while driving. It especially scares me when it's on the highway...I think that is the worst, most of them sway back and forth and you really can't pay attention to both things at once in my opinion so it's got to efffect their driving somewhat.
Yes, i often see in the street, people driving stop by the roadside, to attend cell phone call. I appreciate them for that. I do not have a car or bike of my own. But I am concerned about the rule. Someday if I have my own car, then I will definitely follow this rule while driving. There is law in our country for that. If someone doesn't abide by that law, he will be penalised, but won't be put in the prison.
@MakDomMom (1474)
I will probably get a lot of grief for this... but I use my cell phone all the time when I am driving. Answering calls, making calls, sending and responding to text messages. I always keep my eyes on the road while doing this though! :)
It must become an universal law, and serious fines must be imposed to those who violate it.. I don't even think of attending the call while driving.. It must be self discipline that will bring down the fatal accidents that are caused during driving.. even though laws stay.
@busta1 (1029)
im so against this i will not and drive at the same time..i think if ppl r going to do this they need to get the blue tooth things so they can still have the use of both hands
@anawar (2406)
Point of fact, not interest_ Talking on a cell phone while driving in New York is illegal. It's interesting to note that most of the time when someone makes a really dumb mistake, they're talking on their cell phone. I can't talk and drive, but sometimes, like you said, with kids, you have to.
@busta1 (1029)
no i dnt use my cell y i am driveing it is to dngerouse to do that...thats how accidents can happen
@usmcsgtwife (4997)
I do feel like it is very unsafe to drive while talking on a cell phone, I live on a Marine Base and the whole base is hands free only, I do have a blue tooth for my phone that I will use once in a while.
@speedy1279 (2667)
Well first off I don't have a cell phone. But if I did it would be turned off while I am driving or at least on silent. Personally I think they should pass a law making it illegal to use a cell phone while driving. It is just down right dangerous and I have seen too many accidents because someone was too busy yaking on the phone to pay attention to the road. Sorry if I seem harsh, but I was almost in an accident because of a lady yaking on the phone. She nearly rear ended me because she wasn't paying attention to her driving. Luckily I looked in my rear view mirror just in time to see her coming and for me to pull foward a little bit to keep her from hitting me.