Do you get tired in the middle of the day?

Sometimes during the day, I end up taking a little nap, because I get tired. I am exercising and trying to lose weight, but I think my energy just dips into a nose dive around late afternoon. In fact, I just woke up from a 45 minute nap. I hear taking a mid afternoon nap can be beneficial via a study discussed on Fox News, for it helps the person to stay sharper and to function better. Fox News even reported there are some work places that are following this napping trend by setting up a room with comfortable chairs and loungers. Do you work at any of these places that allows the worker to nap? I think it is normal for a person's energy to dwindle in the afternoon, but sometimes I am out. What do you think and do you sometimes take short afternoon naps? Could this be a hormone thing or a losing weight thing too?
@darkzzt (760)
I usually get tired around 2-3:30pm in the day. i read in the toronto star that napping could keep your heart healthy. i like to take naps at school when i am off class because i get tired easily from studying and sitting in class for so long. but when i'm home i forget to take a nap even though i try to take a short nap everyday.
I am glad there is more evidence to support napping!
yeah do after lunch i feel like taking a nap for a while
Naps are a good thing, especially right after eating, no?
@ElicBxn (61067)
The last 3 years before I retired, I would go out to my car & sleep during lunch. I had an hour lunch, & I generally got at least 20-30 minute naps. It was the only thing that got me thru.
This just goes to show a person to not underestimate the power of a nap!
@TerryZ (22083)
I often take a nap too. If Im feeling really tired then I will take a nap. I dont do it everyday. And when I was working I would just get a strong cup of coffee. I do agree with taking naps at the work place I think its a great idea.
I bet more people would feel better about working if the afternoon power nap became a standard.
@lightningMD (5932)
I occasionally take nap...if i eat sugar in the mornings i can feel my energy dip in a few hours...i'm a stay at home mom so yup the nap room is all set up and ready for me..
Maybe I need to set up a nap room as well, that sounds very enticing! Good idea lightningMD.
@meholl (510)
Mid to late afternoon is also when our energy levels are at there lowest. I also nap during this time of the day sometimes. It could also be because you are trying to lose weight and your body may not be used to using all your energy. Usually a good healthy snack will help keep you awake if you eat it about 2pm or so.
You are absolutely right meholl, I think the extra naps are also due to my attempt to lose a few pounds. I hear eating more than 3 big meals a day helps, like 6 smaller meals.
@1grnthmb (2063)
This seems to be a natural tendency, That is why in a lot of countries they take the sieste. A two hour breake in the afternoon where everyone takes a nap. I myself am guilty of this also. From 1:30 to 3:00 I get really tired and often take a nap. My doctor also told me that this is natural. The sulution was to eat fruit. Avoid sugar because it gives you a quick rush and then you well be even more tired. Peppermint is also being used to perk people up. Some offices release a peppermint scent in the air in the afteernoons to keep their employees productive. Try a sugar free peppermint to perk yourself up.
Thank you for the good advice 1grnthumb, I love peppermint tea but I am unfortunately out at the moment.. I wish the US would follow suit via also making the sieste the standard like other countries. Maybe I could buy an aromatherapy candle that releases peppermint in the air. Thanks for the ideas 1grnthmb! Happy napping!
@1grnthmb (2063)
By what I heard any peppermint scent works. Air freshiners, tea, candy. I heard that you can put a drop of the oil on a light bulb and it will spread its wonderful scent.
I will keep this in mind 1grnthmb, thank you for the tip!
yes.it is a good habit. i think everyong needs the midday nap. you may think i am not tired or i donot want to have a nap. i want to saythat it is necessary not that you need or donot need. it si associated to our health. so i like to have a nap if the time is not little. i also think that one company needs do that ,giving one worker nap time in midday.
Hi Schrotian, I agree that a power nap is a good habit, especially if the work environment knows it will benefit them, too.
@djmarion (4901)
not really but i ussually feel sleepy because of the climate.
I know when I lived in South Korea for a year, it took ime for me to acclimatize to my surroundings. Unfortunately, the military didn't let me take too many naps, but that was then.
I always do. Whether I'm at home the whole day or in school. So I started taking these vitamins that's supposed to give you energy and it works. I feel better too.
I am curious as to what kind of vitamins, because there are a lot fo claims that change from one minute to the next. How do you know what is safe? Right now, the only thing I know that is safe is listening to my body's cues, especially about 2:00 p.m.
I get like this in the afternoons also and have to go lay down for a bit . Makes you wonder why when we were younger we had so much energy and as we get older we seem to lose the energy we had , if only we could bottle up some of the energy our children had :) I don't believe it would have anything to do with a losing weight thing as I certainly don't want to lose any weight or there would be nothing left to me but do believe that as we get older it does take away the energy we had as there is so much more to worry about in the run of a day and this eventually takes a toll , also in my case I don't eat as healthy as I did when I was younger and have medical problems I didn't when I was younger and feel that as we get older there are different factors that take away the energy we once had when we were younger . There is no place around here that would let anyone take a nap and not sure how I would feel about sleeping at a job with other people :)
Thank you samtaylorskykierajen, I would feel a little weird sleeping around strangers. Yet if everyone is professional, hopefully it will be okay. It is kind of impersonal, I guess I really didn't think about it that way. And you are right, responsibilities can take a toll after awhile, especially if they are befuddled with emotion. I think that lethal combination would make a person even more tired, no? Emotional baggage and life! Agghhhh!
I don't really like having a noontime nap, its too hot to sleep plus I always get excited whenever I hear someone on the living room or whenever I hear the sounds of the tv. Usually I sleep a straight 8 hours or less and I think that is enough for me for the whole day, I don't get sleepy in the middle of the night.
Hi lossforredwords! I usually sleep a straight 8 hours,too, yet sometimes I must nap anyways.
• Bulgaria
Mhm...I just start to close my eyes after lunch if I don't go to bed for an hour or two. This happens every day, because somewhere about 2 o'clock yo have a fall of hormons wich makes you feel tired and it's best to have a nap instead of getting back to work. When you wake up at about 4 you can finish your work and feel much more rested and refreshed. I disagree about the lost of weight. You loose weight during your night sleep,but a very small amount.
I wonder if everyone has a fall of hormones or energy around late afternoon. It could be a variety of things, like exercise, vitamin deficiency, hormones, routine. Enjoy your siesta!
My crash time is around 3!!! I'm not sure why either. I try not to nap just becuase I dont want to be restless come bed time. I get to sleep in everyday until 9 or later also so its not like I dont get 9-10 hours of sleep!
Maybe your body is just trying to tell you something? It is hard to disobey your body's cues, especially when a nap is calling.
@ninong (110)
I've read somewhere that it is normal for the body to feel tired during the afternoons, that is why Mexicans or Spanish people have siestas (afternoon naps) as part of their culture. To remedy this, you need to take a 45 minute nap and not more. If you wake up more tired than before you took a nap you should make the nap time shorter. Afternoon naps are like fast chargers, so the book says, and are bound to keep you active after having one.
I remember reading about the siestas in a few Spanish language classes at college. I would rather have a siesta than have the junk food from the machine. It is nicer to go home, lunch, nap, or catch-up with family and friends than to go outside for a nasty cigeratte break, no?
@emeraldisle (13145)
I have always gotten tired in the afternoon no matter how much sleep I got at night. I will when possible take a nap. Usually a couple of hours worth but lately it's been more. I've just been very tired the last few weeks. I think a place that allowed it would be great. That is really neat actually. I've had some places that even if you are on your break and you lay down on a couch they have fit. My thought is it's my time I can close my eyes for fifteen if I want to.
Yes, but who will wake you back up? Do you have an alarm clock feature on your watch perhaps?
@Gin001 (7)
After lunch many people like to have a nap,but if you want to lose weight,you'd better to keep walk for a while.
I go for my walks in the morning, but thank you Gin001.
@icequeen (2841)
I am always tired....but I do agree with you...sometimes in the afternoon I get really tired. I really can't nap that much...unless I am really tired and just pass out. I don't really know what causes it...but I would like to know...I hate being tired all the time....
Maybe one reason for tiredness or lethargy is a vitamin deficiency?
@kteja_86 (293)
Yes,i quite agree with u to the fact that a person works better if he is allowed his afternoon nap coz i believe it relenquishes ur energy levels and helps u to stay more attentive but there are also sources that say an afternoon nap can often make u obese or fatter!!
I am not surprised hearing about the contradicting sources, especially these days. One minute, a nap is good for you, and the next you will get fat. Alrighty then. I guess it boils down to common sense, especially if a person's work day is longer than 8 hours. I hope going to bed before 10:30 p.m. doesn't make me obese!
@lingli_78 (12841)
i think taking a nap is a very good thing to do... i always do it as a child and even until adult i still do it every now and then... now i work in a place where they provide a room with a nice sofa and lounger for employees to take a nap during their break... i think it is really great... and very healthy too...
The funny thing is, I used to hate it when my mom would tell me to take a nap as a child. However as an adult, I have less energy to disagree at this juncture.