Does your cat "bathe" itself after being petted?

arrogant cats - pic of kitten in hammock
my kitty can be really annoying sometimes. A lot of times when I go to pet him,he will wash the area I touched. Does your cat ever do that? I was like "Excuse me for living"! lol . He's not the only one. I have always had cats in the house and I noticed that they all seem to be like that. Like you are gonna give them some diesase or something lol.First he gives me this real arrogant look,like how dare you touch me then he starts washing the area I touched.How insulting!
my black cat is like that. pet,lick,pet,lick. he's almost fallen out of my lap doing that LOL
sounds like me . I'll pet him and he cleans the area then gives me a look like"keep your darned dirty hands off me"! lol.
you should see the look mine has-he waits,like he wants you to pet again,but he has his tongue out and his eyes wide.i laugh everytime he does it :)
omg! My cat is just like that! He does this thing where he leans back on his spine supporting himself on one paw with his rear legs open bathing his belly.He knows I can't resist so I'll start petting his belly and he will look up at me with his tongue out and this look on his face like what the heck do you think you're doing?
@Poison_Girl (4163)
LOL Yeah, my cat does that, too. I didn't think about what creativedreamweaver (I think that's the person) said, though. That it's a way of taking in our scent. I've never heard about that. Makes it seem less insulting, doesn't it?
It does seem a little less insulting. All this time I thought It was because I mussed his majesty's fur,lol!
that's cute but i don't think they mean it that way... maybe they just want to lick up their coats again coz the way you petted it ruined it... like like ruining the hair with gel or something... ;) my cats do that too, i guess its just one of those cat habits, we humans, can't decipher... ;)
My kitty just better get used to it cause I'm gonna keep mussing his fur.It's his fault for being so cute(smile)
ah yeah... I think it's because we mesh his hair.. I mean.. cat really dislike if we screw up his hair T___T
I think so too. How dare we muss the fur,lol?
@Destiny007 (5820)
Our cat does that too. It is as if she is saying that I have all my hairs numbered and perfectly arranged and do not appreciate you messing them up. She really likes to sit on my wifes chest when we try to watch a movie, bit tries to avoid me for some reason. When I do manage to pick her up, I pet her real good and then set her down, pet her a couple times more and then let her be. She will always begin grooming furiously as if she can't wait to get cleaned up again. She has no problem wrapping herself around my feet in the kitchen when she's begging for tuna though...:)
Cant have the fur mussed now can we ,lol. my dad has the same problem with my kitty moose. Moose is even worse with my dad when it comes to bathing where he touched but just let my dad be messing around with food in the kitchen,then he's wrapping himself around my dad's legs like crazy!
@villageanne (8554)
LOL He is not washing your touch off. LOL He is getting new sense of you. His toungue is how he gets scents and that when he licks were you have petted him, he is really giving you a compliment. LOL He is not insulting you. LOL
As long as he's not being insulting.lol. I don't have any germs,I bathe everyday lol. If that was a compliment,he can lick me any time . ya,know I used to think how affectionate cats were when they were rubbing up against me then I found out that they aren't being affectionate,they are just marking you with their scent!well! I guess i got put in my place lol.
@jennybianca (12913)
I can't say I have ever noticed either of my two cats doing that, or even previous cats. I must take more notice next time I pat them. I know cats are exceptionally clean. I would suspect that if they are in the process of cleaning themselves, & you decide to pat him/ her, they will just go right back to licking where you were patting.
cats clean? that's an understatement lol!there's some humans I know that could benefit from a cat's cleanliness. lol
@ElicBxn (61063)
Some cats seem to feel that any touch messes up their carefully arranged fur. I have some cats that I have to put my hand out to stop them from grooming themselves. I don't like them grooming when I'm going to bed, it makes me motion sick. I can get Timus to wash my hand when I put my hand out between him & his fur. Pretty soon he will finally stop & go to sleep.
My Moose is like that .I will have to stop him because he grooms himself so much.He must be just about the cleanest kitty around lol!
Many cats will do that. It isn't to get rid of your touch though. It is a way of showing affection back to you. It is a way for them to get your scent/mark into them. I don't know if that makes sense how I'm wording it...I've had pain meds tonight. Another way to do that for them is to run your finger from their upper lip, up the bridge of their nose when they are in a lovey mood. Cat's that let you do that recognize you as their owner/parent.
Thanks! I didn't know that about cats. I will certainly try that when my kitty decides he wants to be lovey dovey.