do you have an optical recognizer?

i have seen many homes with optical recognizers in front of their houses near their gates. is this necessary. but it is very useful in ATMs and in banks .do you have an idea of its technology. is it necessary for homes comment whether do you have it.
I live in a condo, so no, I don't have one. I'm not sure that I would make such an investment unless I lived in a big house with lots of exspensive things. Like anything else, though, if they become more affordable, I would be encouraged to get one. Interesting topic!
I tried searching for one, just to see how much they cost, but didn't turn anything up. I did, however, find a USB fingerprint scanner. Ha! I'm surprised they make one that plugs into a home computer. Here, check this out: http://www.bioenabletech.com/usb_optical_fingerprint_scanner_fingerprint_sensing.htm
@pelo26 (1553)
A what? I'm afraid I haven't encountered this gadget before or I don'r recognized it if it's very useful in ATMs and banks. Are they security paraphernalia?