How Many Hours of Sleep Do You Get Every Night?

@wachit14 (3599)
Do you get an adequate amount of sleep every night? Supposedly, we would be at our optimum health if we slept a total of ten hours a night, but who really sleeps that long? I'm lucky if I get six solid hours of sleep a night, but some nights I only get five or even just four. So, do you get enough sleep at night regardless of how many hours you sleep, or do you need more to function better?
I've always heard that the average person should get between 6 to 10 hours. Most medical advice would say at least 7 or 8 I believe. I am also very fortunate if I get 6 solid hours of sleep a night, normally waking at least once per night to go potty. At least I am usually able to go right back to sleep. Now, if I could only find a way to type on the computer while I sleep, then I'd really be killing two birds with one stone now wouldn't I???
Thanks so much for the best response my friend. There are so many great pointers on here that it is very difficult to choose. Nothing was that special about my answer unless you really found that last line to be good & funny.
I don't go to bed until 4am and get up at 10 so I am getting 6 hours a night.
I don't sleep at night because I work during night. But I get about 5 to 6 hours of sleep during the day, which I think is not enough. What I found out, when you are so used at being awake at night, it's very hard to go to sleep during day time.
@lightningMD (5931)
I go to bed at 10pm every night. I get up anywhere from 5am till 7am depending on my husbands work schedule. I also wake up around two times every night for a potty break or to get a drink of water. I think I get enough sleep most nights.
Does 'not enough' count as an adequate response? hahaha... seriously, I think I get something like 6 hours of sleep a night. I usually end up taking a nap in the middle of the day anyways, so I get a little more sleep during the day... it's still not enough for me. It was a lot different when I was i college; even though I was deprived of good sleep, it didn't affect me as much as it does now. I could probably do with a couple of more hours a night, but that only happens on the weekends for me.
I don't bother counting anymore. I just sleep later and later but try to get up earlier and earlier (fail quite often). I sometimes sleep so much yet still feel tired. Sometimes I sleep so little yet feel refreshed. I am weird, don't ask me. :P
@Augustta (1860)
• Poland
Oh,i feel this post about sleep will give you very very much responses...smart post!(i am jealous i wasn't thinking first!lol!) Ok,to reply now:i sleep very good now,almost 7 hours which mean pretty much compared with just a month a go when i was sleeping per night just 5 hours....well,7-8 hours,and i am happy about this... augusta
Ha,I sleep eight hours every night without any breaking off,go to bed before 11pm,get up before 8am,so I have a healthy sleeping habit,and I do much to keep this habit.Because we will have a good feeling after a good sleep.
I wuld love to get ten hours of sleep a night. I probably could do it too, if I went to bed right after I put my children to bed, but I consider that my "me" time and I get a lot of stuff done in those hours before I go to sleep. I get 6 on a regular basis and 8 on a good night.
@webbuff (926)
i usually sleep around 5-6 hours every night. i guess its not bad to sleep 4 - 5 hours only as long as your not stressed.
well i sleep around 9-10 yours... i cannot MANAGE without sleeping!! I LOVE TO SLEEP.... and i can sleep for hours... you wont belive i dont get up untill someone wakes me up! and specially in monsoon when its pouring i dont feel like leaving my soft warm bed.. lol
I wish I would have more hours of sleep really. I'm lucky too if I have a straight six to eight hours sleep. But I have to do with only four hours sleep. But I still manage to function well enough. Except if it is an two hours sleep only. And sometimes I just compensate on afternoon naps. They are so refreshing too. And helps a lot to have you energize even for a short moment.(^^,)
I try to get atleast 8 hours of sleep a night but with two kids that is not always possible. If I get 6 I am pretty good for the day but any less than that and I am useless.
@aprilgrl (4460)
Usually around 7 or 8 hours will do for me.
@vixel83 (212)
In the summer I seem to sleep a lot less than in the winter, as the heat really stops me from settling down at night. At the moment I get between 5 and 10 hours a night, depending on what time I have to get up, and what kind of noise the neighbours decide to make until stupid hours of the morning