Do You Send Your Child(ren) To Summer Camp?

If so, what kind of camp is it (general,sports,music etc.)? What's their favourite part of the camp experience? Have you ever had to pick them up early for any reason? Why do you think camp is a valuable experience for them? *** I was a counsellor when I was young, and have many happy memories of this time.
@fawcey (928)
I always see and hear about summer camps in America in Movies and stuff and they sound so cool. We don't have that kind of thing over here in Australia. How long do the kids get of summer holidays? I always wished when I was a kid that we had that kind of thing, I would have loved to get away from my family for a whole summer!!! Are they really like they are portryed in the movies? Boys spying on the girls through a whole in the toilet wall? Also I always think of the movied like Friday the 13th and other ones where things go wrong, has this sort of stuff ever really happened?
That's interesting to know, that you don't have kids summer camps in Australia. Kids over here get approximately 2 months off for summer holidays. They're 'not quite' like the way the movies show them to be, although boys like to play tricks on the girls, and vice versa, such as sneaking into the others cabins etc., at times. I don't recall any camp incidents such as are portrayed in these type of horror movies ... thank goodness. Thanks for your informative response.
@fawcey (928)
Thanks for the best response, I would really have loved summer camp when I was younger. I was always so jealous when I saw them on tv and wished Australia had them. They always seemed to look like good fun(Not in the horror movies) and bring kids together and give them stuff to do, rather than be bored all holidays!
You're welcome, fawcey. I find it fascinating to learn about the way things are in other parts of the world.:)
@winterose (39897)
when my son was young he went to summer camp twice, once was a camp with all the regular camp activities, but the second time he was older and he went to basketball camp. He really liked the basketball camp but didn't want to go back to the regular camp.
It seems as though some kids really like camps with a theme they're interested in more. Did your son play basketball back then? Thanks for sharing.
@winterose (39897)
Yes he loved playing basketball, that is why we sent him. His son, now is 11 and loves basketball too.
Thanks for getting back to me on this winterose. It's nice your grandson is following in his father's footsteps.