What is an indicator? Come on drivers, anyone, what is an indicator used for?

This is a driving related rant. This is directed to the drivers out there. Do you know what an indicator is? You know, that funny little stick thing on the steering column that moves up and down and makes a light blink on and off. Do you know what it is used for? Do you hang your mobile phone off it? Maybe hang a handbag on it? Or perhaps you could actually use it for it's proper purpose, and let other drivers on the road know you are actually planning to turn left or right!! Here's the scenario, I pull up at the traffic lights as they are red. Another car opposite pulls up at the lights too. I have my indicator showing I am turning left, the other driver on the other side of the road is not indicating at all, seemingly planning to drive straight ahead. The lights turn amber and I put the car into gear ready to pull away and turn left, the lights turn green and the idiot on the opposite side shoots away from the lights and, no indicator, suddenly turns and cuts straight across and damn nearly hits me. Thank goodness I have good brakes, that's all I can say. I am still shaking, and upset. Not so much the fact that he could have killed me with his careless driving, but the fact that he laughed as he nearly took me off the road. I am so angry now, all it takes is to use the damn indicator!!!!!So, please in MyLot land, do you use your indicators on the roads? If you don't, then please THINK and INDICATE.
Good discussion. I dont know how some people get their licences. Which is worst, people who dont use their indicators or those who have them on constantly while driving up the road. YOu dont know where they are going to turn or just jam on. I hate when you are try to get out on to a main road and there are cars coming up the road, one side is clear to go and the other stil has a car on it, then the eejit turns the corner with out having hi indicator on. Then there are loads of cars on the road and you have to wait forever to get another chance to get out. Also people who just put their indicator on to change lanes and within a secind of turning it on, just try and pull in on top of you. Just because you have your indicator on, doent mean you have the right to change lanes, it is to let other drivers know you want to move in and you have to wait for a driver to let you in when it is safe to go. I hate cars that just pull in on top of you. Thats my little rant too, lol.
Welcome to my rant hun, join in. These are days when I really wonder if these guys ever actually take a driving test, much less pass. I have always had it drummed into me to indicate my intentions on the roads, turning or changing lanes etc., I'd be interested to know just how many accidents are caused in one day simply by people not using their indicators
I'd say not indicating is one of the main causes of accidents along with drink driving etc.
@whyaskq (7529)
There are simply all sorts of drivers out there. I have seen drivers showing the signal indicator that he is turning left but he turns right. I give him the benefit of doubt that he cannot distinguish between left and right. There are also some drivers who simply put the signal indicator on but is traveling straight. I take it that they have forgotten that they are supposed to turn. Whichever, I do not only rely on indicators. I rely on my own instinct. and I do not be the first one to rush off at traffic junctions, regardless whether I am driving or playing the role of a pedestrian crossing the road. I trust my own indicators :P
OMG, that was just more than your having good brakes, it was your good reflexes and God looking down on you! All I can say is HEY, IF YOU CAN'T READ MY MIND, DO YOU THINK I CAN FRI**ING READ YOURS? It's one of my pet peeves. Be careful, because you know everyone else on the road is stupid (and remember that and always wear your seatbelt!)
I guess someone was definitely looking after me hun, and your comment in capitals may well be turned into a car sticker for my car in the very near future. :-)
If I could make it into a bumper sticker, I'd be RICH! That has been on my mind for years!
LOL I have alreaady printed it out and plan to put it in the car later today. You should do it hun.
@Bizziebod (3526)
Hi, I'm afraid it's becoming all too common here, especially at roundabouts, people just don't bother anymore.. I always indicate even if there is no other cars about as pedestrians look to see if you're indicating too.. I'm currently teaching my daughter to drive and have pointed out to her how important it is to use your indicators. My friend was in an accident not so many years ago, when someone went into the back of her car as she was turning right. She swears she had her indicator on, but because the passenger in the other car said she did not have it on, then the insurance company ruled against the other driver (even though he was speeding round the corner) So take heed all of you who don't use your indicators as your insurance company may fail to pay out if a car pulls out on you at a roundabout and you didn't have an indicator on. I hope you are ok now!
I'm fine now thanks hun. Your information on the insurance side of things is very useful, I wonder how many drivers don't actually think about that when they ignore the rules of the road. Ok, so if he had managed to trash my car, it's not worth a great deal but I can't afford to get a new car at the moment.
@Bizziebod (3526)
I'm pretty sure people are not aware that if they get hit and their indicator is not on then their insurance company may not pay out! I'm glad you're ok now
Hi hun, Yes, I use my indicator every single time I turn weither their is traffic around or not as it is habbit. I have had close calls a few times from people who think they are special and don't need to use their indicator. Either that or they think I am a mind reader, and I should just know they are turning.
That is so true, you feel you are a good driver, but aren't sure about anyone else on the road. I bet you could have went for a ciggie, but I am very proud of you that you didn't hun =) Did you know that having a ciggie actually raises your blood pressure? So, most smokers crave when they are stressed (stress raises blood pressure) then if they have a ciggie they just raised it more. That is when strokes or heart attacks are more likely to happen. So even though a smoker feels in a stressful situation that a smoke "calms them down" it actually does the opposite! Just another reason we should be glad we're done with those nasty things!
@abroji (3247)
We should keep ourselves in a very disciplined manner while we drive in public roads. Because not only our life but other's are also at stake. Our carelessness could bring disaster not only to us but to others also? So traffic rules and road signals should be followed without fail. In the incident explained by recycledgoth the carelessness of the young man could have caused an accident and affect both parties badly. So not only in applying indicators, but also in every other driving rules we should be perfect. After all driving a vehicle is not child play. Many peoples' lives are at stake.
Thanks hun, absolutely right. There are far too many careless drivers on the roads and I am just thankful I hvae good brakes
@abroji (3247)
Nice dicussion Thank You.
@anonymili (3138)
Indicator - Car indicator! Do you have one? Do you use it?
Oh gosh, that’s also one of my pet hates! So many people just don’t bother to indicate these days. You have no idea how many times I’ve driving to or from work and some clown in front of me stops suddenly to park and doesn’t indicate their intention, then they have the cheek to wave at me to reverse back so they can get into the space by reversing. Well if you’re stupid enough to stop suddenly when you see a parking space, why would you expect me to know you’re about to stop and then you’re inconveniencing me and the several others who might be behind me to reverse so you can get into the space? DOHHHHHHHHH! The incident you mention about someone from the opposite direction turning right into the lane where you intend to turn left, well as far as I know, if you’re turning left and someone at traffic lights ahead opposite you is turning right, it’s your right of way? Well it is in the UK anyway as far as I recall from taking my driving test over 20 years ago. Or did the law change without me knowing? I don’t think so! x
Yes it was my right of way and yes people in car parks who believe we are all psychic really bug me. I was out yesterday and parking at the local supermarket, and watched in disbelief as a woman in a huge 4x4 decided to stop suddenly and attempt to get into a space you would be hard pressed to fit a mini into.
@Woodpigeon (3710)
I agree with you Goth, and you know they know what the indicators are for if they passed a driving test. That must have been on there somewhere, so it is just laziness and a bad habit to not bother. I hate it too, bu especially when I am walking. You can't cross the street just because they aren't indicating, it doesn't mean anything with a heck of a lot of drivers. I think it's pretty selfish and very unsafe.
I also rely on drivers indicating when I am walking on the street, heck I'm not psychic and usually end up standing on the pavement waiting to figure out which way some of them are planning to go.
@lols189 (4797)
i agree it is dangerous on the roads and everybody should indicate when they are turning as it can cause accidents. i just hope these careless drivers will get the message one day. hope you have recovered from your shocking situation recycledgoth
I'm fine thanks hun. :-) Thanks for your comment too
It's a good thing you weren't injured! That idjit should lose his license. Here's an interesting article that says a lot of what you've said about those awful drivers. http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/160376/turn_signals_what_is_so_difficult_about.html
Thanks hun, it is vital for all road users but so many just don't bother to use the indicators
@yanjiaren (9050)
I don't drive but I can understand how pissed off you are with careless lazy drivers on the road. How many times I am at the traffic lights and some div comes around the corner without stopping or indicating . You need eyes on your butt to survive alive on the roads. I don't enjoy being a pedestrian in the cities. It is becoming a lawless jungle, living in the cities.
I have lost count of the number of times I have walked up to the local shops where I have to cross two busy roads and I have stood on the corner trying to guess if the cars are really going straight on or not. They drive me nuts
@romel_ece (1290)
I think an indicator fr me is a way to measure, indicate, point out or point to with more or less exactness. The indicators on cars are critical safety features that enable pedestrians and other road users to predict where a car is likely to go in the next few seconds. The difference in reaction times is enough to make a significant impact on safety.
Absolutely critical - which is why I get so angry when drivers don't actually use there indicators.
@loujac3 (1188)
Hey, isn't that for hanging your air fresheners or your elastic hair ties from? Just kidding! I get a kick out of the people that always flip it in the wrong direction and therefore the wrong turn light is on. They probably don't use it because they have their hands full with a stearing wheel and a cell phone. Heck, when I learned to drive it was a priority that you learned to use hand signals just in case your indicator lights didn't work. Now a days no one understands this since they all drive with their arms out the window flailing them about and flipping off other drivers. We don't have indicators on our bicycles so we have to know how to use arm signals. Watch to see the next time you out if bicyclists use their arm signals. I bet half of them don't know what they are. We just have to be defensive drivers and ready for that occasional idiot to try to take us out. Good luck!
LOL yup the indicator stick is so useful for hanging all your junk on, shame it doesn't get used for its original purpose. You are right about hand signals too, a lot of cyclists don't bother at all. Thanks hun
i'm glad you're ok :) my state is very bad for not signalling-i don't drive but my brother does-and i always hear him scream about the people who cut him off in the truck. it seems to people local,the signaller is something to play with at the light,nothing more :(
I felt badly shaken hun, but angry that his lack of thought could have killed me, or anyone else for that matter. What an idiot :-(
@Sherry12 (2475)
That is very important to use the turn signals. Sounds like you had a very rude driver. I'm sorry you had such a scary experience, I hope you have calmed down a little by now.
I've calmed down now but still angry that he could have killed someone just by his own thoughtlessness
I did something that could have, in this day and age, caused someone to shoot me. What happened was I was waiting for a car to move so I could turn into an about to be free parking space. I was waiting with my indicator blinking to show I was going to turn into the space when it was free. The car in front of me was also waiting, I thought to let the car in the parking space back out, as his indicator was not flashing and he made the turn into the parking place I was teed off. He was driving a new new car so I went up to him and said "it seems a shame your nice new car does not have indicators do they cost extra". He was not amused and was very rude..LOL
That would really bug me too hun. It's just so damned annoying, after all I'm not psychic and can't guess guess though the power of my mind.
@sigma77 (5385)
I think that is the ejection seat handle...lol. If you want a turn signal on a new vehicle, you have to make a special request. Then you have to go to school to learn all the funtions of that little stick thingy. You see, most cars on the road today do not have signals. Sorry about your close call, we have all have had them. Many of us have ranted about this type of driving behavior and it seems that it gets worse.
PMSL - I love the idea of the ejection seat, now where can I get one installed LOL
@mummymo (23707)
This is one of my pet hates on the road - I haven't been driving for almost a year because of my back and it will still be several months before I get behind the wheel but it has been 20 years since I passed my test and as more time goes on I have seen more and more people who think it is too much hassle to indicate! I am with you - it is not only aggravating but extremely dangerous and so easy to remedy!
I don't know if it is lazy, thoughtless or downright ignorance when they don't indicate, just plain lethal.
@castleghost (1304)
I am like you and get upset when someone doesn't use their turn signals to let everyone else know what their intentions are. I often would like to ask them why they were so cheap to but a car that didn't come with turn signals or why they are so lazy that they can't flip the little switch to let someone know what their intentions are. It doesn't make any sense for someone not to use the indicators.
Very true, it doesn't make sense to me either. I always use my indicators at junctions and on the roads, it's common sense if nothing else.
@palonghorn (5483)
I agree, I think some people do have other uses for it, hanging something from it, and not using for it's proper use. As for the one that almost hit you, I'd have gotten his license plate number, even if I had to follow him for a bit to get it, discription of vehicle and called the police and turned in the information, and a wreckless driving report.
If I had been able to take his number plate I would have reported him, he took off so fast I didn't stand a chance.