We want a pond...what we have so far is a big hole in the ground..what next???

We decided to put in a pond last year while we were having several acres cleared....so we had the dozer man dig us a big hole and put good shoulders on it....it has a good depth and gently slopes to the middle which is about 18-20feet deep......my problem is that it is not retaining water and I do not know what to do next....any help would be appreciated... We have horses which we thought about fencing the 3 acres around the pond for them....but we have decided that we would like to have an area where the kids can swim and fish...so it is important that the pond remain clean and clear....I want it to have a good ecological balance so that the fish will thrive.... I have read alittle on the internet but all of the information I have found seems to be more for decorative ponds in the garden/font yard or on a much larger scale than what we want....this pond is approximately 18-20 ft. deep and approximately 45-50 feet in diameter in an oval shape..... Please if you have had any experience with starting a pond from scrach.....help!!! Thanks so much!!
@Woodpigeon (3710)
I know you are looking at pond liners, but there is also the possibility of adding clay to you big hole? Where I grew up there is an enormous man made lake and that was why they picked the site: the soil had lots of clay in it. The thing I like about clay is that it isn't going to rip somewhere down the line! Good luck, that sounds like a really fun project!
It is definantely a learning experience...but fun... Yes we have looked at liners...I am afraid that they just will not be suitable for this project... I have also been told that using old sheetrock will help the bottom to seal; which is the problem...it just soaks into the ground instead of holding the water inside... We have read about the clay, but are not sure where to purchase it...I live in rural Arkansas so surely it can be purchased in quantity..... Thanks so much for sharing your ideas with me..I appreciate it.
you are right that there are appropriate sites for projects like this one. if the site is not naturally fit for the project, they do lots of things with the soil. this project is a no joke and easy thing. this is a huge project which requires adequate planning and a good amount of money for getting it done. it is best that all necessary steps are considered to make sure that it will be a success right at the very first time. only a win-win situation must be the scenario when a project of this magnitude is carried out.
you might try getting a "pond kit" they usually come with a liner, filters etc etc. and some places sell them all the way to 40x40 i believe. try this site for supplies...note they have a pond calculator where you can enter your exact dimension and depth in order to find out exactly what size filter, liner, etc that you would need. http://www.pondbiz.com/ or try this site...they also have a pond calculator and a lot of info on starting and maintaining a pond in the Tips&Help page. including how to choose fish and care for them etc etc. choosing filter..LOTs of info lol! In particular check out the page on Pond Construction...step by step on how to build a pond, from laying out "where" to treating the water. it looks like a great site, im gonna have to come back to it, cause ive always wanted a pond myself lol! http://www.aqua-mart.com/ hope something in that last site helps!
CinderInMySoul, Thank you so very much....I have already looked at both of these sites; preferring the last one as well....I have saved it to my favorites so I can revisit it and read more.. I appreciate it. Great directions on the step-by-step-construction.....could be called "ponds for dummies"...LOL I think even I can do this!!! I feel better now...I was getting discussed because it fills up with rainwater then soaks into the ground or something...well the water is not there longer whatever happens to it.... Thanks again!
no problemo! glad i could help lol! im gonna have to go back to that site..i really want a little waterfall pond thingy!
Whoa, I just reread your post. I misread the dimensions you are working with. That is huge. You must be talking a real pond, not just a garden decoration. You might want to talk to a landscape designer. The fee might be a little high, but you could waste a lot more if you don't do the pond right the first time and have to redo it. Would love to hear what you decide to do.
Yes, my new friend....it is really going to be a big pond...LOL The empty hole is huge! My husband is one of those who plans and reads and learns and on and on until he feels comfortable with making an informed decision...maybe it will be done by next summer...as I have researched on line for himand printed enough stuff for a book....he has checked out several bookd from the local library on the subject and the research continues...urghhhhhhhh sometimes it gets on my nerves alittle...but I know that the finished project will be perfect...or at least really good...
OMG my brother is the same way, sometimes I just want to slap him upside the head and say, "Make a decision. I don't care if it's right or wrong, just do something."
Oh yes, I have felt that way before myself...LMAO But he usually is correct inwhatever it is that he decides to do...... I am able to make a decision fairly quick.....can not usually afford the luxury of taking my time to think about things or else nothing would ever get done around here....If you know what I mean?????? ROFLMAO
@lexus54 (3576)
I can't offer any advice to you about setting up your pond for recreation. That's because I know next to nothing about creating one. However, I would be excited to own one if I have acres of land. I hope you will get the appropriate advice to set up your pond, and have endless hours of fun using it.
Thanks for stopping by....I can understand about not knowing....I, myself, am learning......LOL We own about 15 acres and have horses....we originally thought that we would fence in this pond area for them but have since decided that we like the wildlife (we have lots of deer).....plus we want to be able to stock it with fish for the kids and for them to be able to swim in it.... Providing the proper ecological enviroment and having the ater clean is important to us....I will keep ya'll updated once we get it all figured out... Thanks again, my friend...
To be honest I don't really have much (or any!) knowledge on ponds and pools, but you haven't said wether you have lined the hole or not. I'm sure you need to line the bottom and sides?
Thanks anyways, my friend.....I really did not know much about them when we started this little project...HAHA I am learning way more than I ever planned to know too..... I appreciate the effort....keep your fingers crossed that my hubby wlll make a decision so....I am getting alittle impatient........urghhhhhh
it is never that easy to make a pond. you will have to consult somebody who has been into the business of making them. they will locate the best site to have it and what will be needed. then, they can provide you with the figures as to how much the whole project will cost. make sure that a contract is signed and prepared by a lawyer. incase of deficiencies in the work, the contractor will do the necessary corrections. it is not wise to do this project just on your own. you might end up wasting so much for something which will never work as planned.
The man who dug this hole for us...has been excavating in this area for the past 47 years...he has a good reputation and a thriving business..... Many factors were taken into consideration when the site was dug....such as the terrain of the land and rain water run off.... His suggestion was to obtain a couple of hogs and allow they to rut around in it for a while to stop the water from soaking back into the ground.....my husband does not want to do it that way....he does not want to raise pigs even if for a short time....LOL He is the type who will continue to research this until he has learned enough different ways to proceed and he feel somfortable that what he decides will be what is best suited for our needs.... When I posted this discussion....I had alreaady printed off a small book of material....he has read several books from the library and continues to do so.....I just thought that if anyone had ever build a pond of this size here on myLot that they might see this discussion and offer some interesting viewpoints..... I appreciate you sharing your ideas with me....thank you, my friend.....
You might want to check out HGTV.com They have lots of information on designing and building ponds. I know I saw on one of their shows a family that wanted a place for their kids to play in the water, but didn't want a full-sized regular pool. The designer created a large pond that was also safe for the kids to wade and splash in. I can't remember which show it was on but may someone else here can.
@webeishere (36353)
I would say call your local DNR office. They do the ponds on private property and even stock them with fish as long as you allow it to be fished by others than just family. This was done by my dads neighbor. He has a pnd of 4.5 acres and he allows the neighbors to fish it ever so often so it abides by the DNR's request. HAPPY POSTINGS FROM GRANDPA BOB !!~
Grandpa Bob, What a wonderful idea...now why didn't I think of that....LOL We have a few neighbors that are not too close but that would probably like to be able to wonder over and fish occassionally..hehe I will be contacting them....I will let you know how that goes...thanks so much for the information....very informative, my new friend....
@webeishere (36353)
Well I hope that your States DNR does the same as they do here in Minnesota. They also shear and burn land for us free of charge so that they can keep wildlife habitat available. This year the DNR is shearing and burning 85 acres for the habitat and dancing grounds for the Grouse at the farm. HAPPY POSTINGS FROM GRANDPA BOB !!~
While I am not sure that Arkansas will do the same...I figure no harm in asking.....I will be contacting them to see..I really think that this was a wonderful idea...and I appreciate it.
@deebomb (15319)
My daughter has put in several small ponds in her yard and has fish and frogs living in them. She got her liner from a friend that put in swimming pools. These are liners that have been replaced. So my thought is you might find some one that does this and get the used liners from him since you are doing such a big one. This would be more economical than buying new ones.
That is a wonderful suggestion, thank you so much for sharing it with me.
@deebomb (15319)
Always Glad to help.
@deebomb (15319)
Always Glad to help.
There was a swimming hole at a local park that started out as a lined pond to keep it clean. They had fish in the pond too. But the person putting the liner in encountered a bubble in the liner and couldn't get it out. He punctured it with a knife and of course all of the sand and dirt from under the liner came rushing into the pond. It is now a nice little frog pond with fish, cattails and other growth.
Yes, that is one of our fears with a typical liner...we are looking for a nore natural type of lining...possibly clay or something along these lines....we are still actively learning about this...... Thanks for sharing this story with me...I reinforces my theories against a plastic type of liner....
@gabs8513 (48710)
Well I used to have a Pond in my Garden that the Ex Husband put there but he lost Interest which was not unusual then when we separated I kept it going another 2 years then I couldn't anymore as it was to much for me with my Illness All I know is he dug the Hole and then he put lining in it Pond lining but if you have Fish in there it is not going to be easy to keep clean you would have been better of doing 2 different ones