Ringo Starr

Ringo Starr - Ringo in a very cool shot.
@laridbz (1287)
China
He is probably one of the most underrated drummers ever. Maybe because he was a beatle, and people expected TOO much of him. What do you thing of him as a musician and as a person?
@gifana (4836)
• Portugal
Gene Krupa, Great Jazz Drummer - picture of Gene Krupa sitting at his full set of drums. Considered by many to be one of the all time great jazz drummers in the world.
You could very well be right lardibz mainly because the Beatles music wasn't geared for drum solos like they used to be when I was a teenager. But I must say that you may not of heard some of the greatest drummers back in the 20's, 30's, 40's and 50's. Gene Krupa, Buddy Rich, Louis Bellsen and three that come to mind. Especially in jazz the drum solo was one of the high points of any song. I never met Ringo in person but of the four it seemed to me that he was the most humble always seeming to remain in the background rather than push his way to the front.
@laridbz (1287)
No, I don't know any of these drummers, gifana. :) But it's actually not my point to put Ringo as one of the best drummers ever. I do know there are much better drummers around. But the thing is that Ringo was not an awful musician as many people say. Think about any average drummer of the 90's that were considered "good". Ringo is probably much better than him/her. In my opinion, what makes his bad reputation is the "beatle" label, which is quite controversial, for being a beatle was what he knew how to do best. Oh and thanks for your opinion!