Superstitions Surrounding Cats

@ElicBxn (61051)
A strange black cat on your porch brings prosperity. - Scottish superstition A cat sneezing is a good omen for everyone who hears it. - Italian superstition It is bad luck to see a white cat at night. - American superstition Dreaming of white cat means good luck. - American superstition When you see a one-eyed cat, spit on your thumb, stamp it in the palm of your hand, and make a wish. The wish will come true. - American superstition If a cat washes behind its ears, it will rain. - English superstition A cat sleeping with all four paws tucked under means cold weather ahead. - English superstition English schoolchildren believe seeing a white cat on the way to school is sure to bring trouble. To avert bad luck, they must either spit, or turn around completely and make the sign of the cross. A black cat crossing one's path by moonlight means death in an epidemic. - Irish superstition It is bad luck to cross a stream carrying a cat. - French superstition A cat on top of a tombstone meant certainly that the soul of the departed buried was possessed by the devil. Two cats seen fighting near a dying person, or on the grave shortly after a funeral, are really the Devil and an Angel fighting for possession of the soul. - Old English superstitions To see a white cat on the road is lucky. - American superstition To kill a cat brings seventeen years of bad luck. - Irish superstition If cats desert a house, illness will always reign there. - English superstition In Normandy, seeing a tortoiseshell foretells death by accident. In the Netherlands, cats were not allowed in rooms where private family discussions were going on. The Dutch believed that cats would definitely spread gossips around the town. When moving to a new home, always put the cat through the window instead of the door, so that it will not leave. - American superstition In the early 16th century, a visitor to an English home would always kiss the family cat. When the pupil of a cat's eye broadens, there will be rain. - Welsh superstition In 16th century Italy, it was believed that if a black cat lay on the bed of a sick man, he would die. But there's also a belief that a cat will not remain in the house where someone is about to die. Therefore, if the family cat refuses to stay indoors, this is regarded as a very bad luck
@biwasaki (1745)
I've also heard the superstition that if a cat sits on a baby's chest it will suck the life force out of the baby. I don't know where this superstition came from, but I've heard it a few times in a few different ways.
@ElicBxn (61051)
If a cat SITS on an infants chest it might suffocate the baby, but my mom discovered that having a cat in the room would warn her about the tarantula under the crib!
@biwasaki (1745)
The version that I heard said that the cat sits on the infant's chest with its mouth close to the infant's mouth and sucks the life force out of them. Personally, I think it's just the cat liking the smell of milk on the baby's breath.
@gberlin (3836)
Interesting superstitions about cats. I have two cats and one of them is always washing their ears. But it is always raining so I guess that superstition isn't true. The one about cats gossiping is funny.
@gberlin (3836)
I meant to say that it is NOT always raining.
@tess1960 (2386)
Fun reading! Thanks for the lesson, I am American and I've never heard half of the American Cat superstitions listed. I got a bit of a chuckle out of a couple of them.
@sodapop (977)
I'm with you tess, I am American and I've never heard of the American Cat superstitions listed.
@pyewacket (44032)
My there are certainly a lot of sayings and superstitions about cats...how come never about dogs??--and like you I have a black cat and I think he's lucky to have around..but that saying about a cat cleaning it's ears indicating rain...well can disprove that...it's raining here now, and neither of my two cats were cleaning their ears!! LOL
@ElicBxn (61051)
I have noticed that the cats groom more before a big storm. Especially electrical storms - I think it makes their fur static-ie & they are trying to calm it down. Not their ears especially - hardly any of mine clean their own ears - they let one of the groomming fool cats do it for them.
@CatNPK (461)
I have my personal superstition, if you can call it that. My cat always sits on the fence next to the front door, and I semi-jokingly say that he keeps any bad spirits from entering the house.
@ElicBxn (61051)
All my cats, except for one, are inside cats - but they make sure nothing of the rodent persuasion gets in my house!
@magikrose (5423)
Those are very intresting. Ther is another that I have heard. dont know its origin but if Black cat crosses your path you are to have bad luck. I happen to have 2 cats and I dont believe in the superstisions at all. My bestfriend and neighbor has a pure black cat with yellow eyes and she is such a sweet cat.
@ElicBxn (61051)
Since I currently have 4 black cats - for a while last fall I had 5 - I obviously don't think black cats are bad luck. It is a very common superstition.
Thats alot of superstitions about cats , you say its good luck to hear a cat sneeze well thats good to know my cat sneezes all the time LOL LOL LOL ...
@ElicBxn (61051)
I had a kitty cold go around this winter & one of them is still sneezing occasionally - I'm telling the people looking to adopt her that its allergies. Back in 2000 I had another URI (upper respetory infection) go thru my cats & I kid you not, Scamp sneezed for 2 yrs after.
@ryanphil01 (4185)
you have a great collection of superstitious beliefs on cats. i might as well keep and save this discussion for future reference. how would say then my students before in biology have been killing cats for their anatomy class? it wasn't bad luck for them because they have all passed the subject and now they are doctors in medicine. how about cats having 9 lives? LOL
I knew that there were alot of superstitions about black cats but didn't know there were that many.I wonder where people came up with all these superstitions.
Wow!! What a great collection!! There's a lot I've never heard of before. I saved them so I can pass them on to cat lovers I know. Thanks!!
@hezoid (2147)
Cats seem to be the cause of a great many superstiitions! Im like these two the best: If a cat washes behind its ears, it will rain. - English superstition A cat sleeping with all four paws tucked under means cold weather ahead. - English superstition My cat is always washing behind her ears and often tucks allher paws under her, but then again it is always raining in England! Lol!
@rosie_123 (6118)
Wow - they are all really interesting. Some I knew - some I had never heard of! Thanks for sharing those. I always find it quite odd that some people think of black cats as bad luck, while here in the UK they are considered good luck, and many people give "lucky" black cats to brides on their wedding day!