husband and wife are rivals in mayoralship?!!!

My god, what is happening to our morality. Election has downed the morality and even destroyed the family just for power. For me it is no longer acceptable. Besides, one candidate in the family is enough. More than one or more than two is of course a manifestation of political dynasty. Political dynasty is acceptable is the elders ones have resigned and its the turn of the young ones. but not as competitors on same position. What can you say about this issue?
If I am to understand you correctly, a husband and wife are running against one another for mayor? And you think this need for power is eroding family values?
Definitely yes! And ins't it a shame?
@ryanphil01 (4185)
as one mylotter commented "this is democracy in action." i am referring you to one of the discussions posted by one filipino user (ajinomoto23) entitled "only in the philippines" http://www.mylot.com/w/discussions/1091052.aspx look at out city of davao, we have a father-daughter tandem who won in mayoralty and vice-mayoralty posts respectively. i suppose what counts most is not in the personality but in the performance level of the said candidates. they are both lawyers in their own capacities. i see no threat nor harm when both father and daughter serve our city. there would still be check and balance system because of the composition of the city council which is composed of pros and cons.
@acmepride (1547)
This is absolutely revolting to say the least. It seems that the top priority now is not so much the decency, competence, and integrity that a candidate would offer and the kind of public service he would render, but simply the acquisition of power. As could be shown by this particular discussion, it would seem that power-seekers, be they relatives or not, would employ any means necessary, be it moral/legal or not, just to ensure that they will be triumphant and, thus, they would acquire the power that they lust for. I could not, for the life of me, even remotely imagine what kind of the lowliest of the low crass politicians would use their families just to ensure that their political clan would remain in power. For me, it's clearly the height of political depravity. Political dynasties, sadly, seem to be the order of the day in our country, despite the glaring fact that our constitution frowns upon them. However, our legislators, I feel, are the ones primarily to blame for the retention and even emergence of new political dynasties in our political system. As legislators, they are essentially tasked to craft laws that would, once and for all, clearly define what a political dynasty truly is. But, sadly, until now, they seem to be dragging their feet and, as a result, we do not have a clear idea as to what a political dynasty, by definition, really is. This situation, in turn, is being exploited by those who are members of political families. They are using this as a defense so that they could not be prevented from running for office. What's more disheartening, though, is the fact that the exact people--the legislators--who are supposed to craft an anti-dynasty law to specifically address the problem of political dynasties are perhaps deliberately not doing so because some, if not most, of the members of Congress are part of political families. Conceivably, they would not legislate a law that would be detrimental to their cause. However, I am truly hoping that this particular problem would be remedied very soon and political dynasties would gradually seize to exist. How exactly this would come about, though, still remains to be seen.