Religious people pointing fingers at scientology...

@soadnot (1606)
Scientology is a religion, period. define religion: an institution to express belief in a divine power here we learn that it is a religion. it does not matter if it has cult like premises, pay money for the answer etc., as long as it sticks to that definition its a religion. all religions started out as a cult how dare people from other religions point fingers saying that it is not a religion where believing in some guy who came back to life is just as outrages as believing that our souls are descendants of aliens.. you have no right to say that it is not a religion, because it is a religion. you can have debates with them about what they say, morals etc, but you cant say that it is not a religion. i dono, what do u think?
@mari610 (360)
I will only respond to one statement you made in your post. "Believing that some guy came back to life is outrageous?' For stating that very thing, I wouldn't take one second, to dignify your question regarding scientology, with an answer.
@soadnot (1606)
this is what you call "a sign of ignorance" i was saying that being descendants of aliens is as outrages as someone coming back to life. this is understandable looking at it as a reasonable person would.
@mari610 (360)
I did not criticize your belief in any way.I was insulted by your use of words. You clearly stated and may I say in a very derogatory way, "Believing that some guy came back to life is outrageous". The words "some guy", in referring to Jesus Christ,our creator and the one Cristians look to as their God,is why you got the response you did from me. It amazes me, that somehow when someone who doesn't believe as you do, or disagrees with statements made or doesn't agree with your point of view (and I've seen this too amny times when it comes to non-believers) you feel the need to insult them, or make fun of their beliefs, when at the same time you turn the tables and say we are not Christians , because we disagree with you.I find that hypocritical at best.
@soadnot (1606)
you realize jesus is not the only person in history who has supposedly been res resurrected? I was not necessarily talking about him. go study history, people like mithras.
While I may not agree with the beliefs of scientology, I will fervently defend your right to practice them unharassed by others. As a Christian, I am extremely disappointed every time I see someone, usually someone claiming to be a Christian, judging others. Furthermore, not only did EVERY religion start as a cult, EVERY religion IS a cult. By dictionary definition a cult is a group having a sacred ideology and a set of rites centering around their sacred symbols. I am sorry that you have had others say Scientology is not a religion, it may not be a religion others agree with(what religion does not have people who disagree with it), but it is still a religion whether they like it or not.
@soadnot (1606)
this is true, ignorance has blinded many people. people like the person above cant even accept that the idea of someone coming back to life may be outrages to many people, and his ignorance blinds him. a religion is basically a cult, but a cult is sort of the "negative" version, associated with religions such as Scientology. also, they say that cults brainwash people.. in your definition, does religion brainwash people?
I do not think religion brainwashes people, but I do believe there have been religious leaders who have brainwashed their followers. It is amazing to me everytime I look at my religious beliefs from a "scientific" viewpoint and see how miraculous many of the events have been, so I can easily see how others would view them as outrageous. Most of my beliefs have been formed based on my experiences and my testimony is one that developed independent from those around me, but I have met many people of all faiths that rely on the testimony of their parents/spouse/pastor/etc. That seems to allow for a bit of brainwashing there. I do agree that the word cult does have a negative conotation, but I also believe that one day we will all answer for the INDIVIDUAL choices we made in life. If someone wants to judge your beliefs and say you belong to a cult, they will need to answer for why they felt justified in judging others. Incidentally, although I consider myself Christian, there are many "Christians" who will argue that and say I also belong to a cult. I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of latter-day saints (also known as LDS or Mormon) and we deal with our fair share of others judging our beliefs as well. I do not have a problem with someone sharing what is good about their beliefs IF they do it in a way that does not belittle mine. I want them to share with me why their beliefs are right, not why mine are wrong. As a business person, it makes sense. You cannot gain someone's respect if you start tearing their core beliefs apart, even if you have the best thing in the world, they do not respect you and will not buy it. The same goes with religion and teaching others about it.
@soadnot (1606)
so what is the difference between a religion and a cult?