How do you practice AP with an 8month old?

@nica269 (1399)
My lo is 8 months old and i'm having a delema. I know there are websites that help you out and give you advice such as the awesome askdrsears.com, but i would love to hear about 'personal' experiences. How do you know when to attend to your child without inhibiting them to become independent. For example; my lo doesn't like to be on his tummy, but when he's playing with his toys on the floor and reaches for a certain toy he sometimes reaches far enough where he ends up on his tummy. After a few minutes he starts to cry because he can't get out of that position...or doesn't want to try to get out. I don't like to hear him cry because it makes me feel bad, but when he's on his tummy sometimes he's not really crying, it's more of a fake cry. So I let him fake cry for a few minutes, but then go and sit him back up. My dh says that I shouldn't pick him up until he's really crying because if I attend to his every whim, he won't learn to be independent. He believes and practices AP with me, but he really believes that we're doing more damage than good on this particular issue. Please help.
@mememama (3077)
If he doesn't like being on his tummy, get down on the floor and lay down next to him so he doesn't get lonely. I know this looks absurd lol but my son was the same way when he was a baby. When he is ready, he'll be independant. My son is a toddler and is very independant, but still ocassionally crawls on my lap to play with a toy for a moment, I love that! My husband used to say the same thing as yours, but I notice my son isn't as clingy as other non-ap kids and doesn't whine when I leave. It builds confidence that you have their back in life.
@nica269 (1399)
That's what I think, but my husbands says that his grandmother did the same thing to him (gave him full attention) and as he got older, and even now sometimes, he expects things to be done for him...or handed to him. I honestly do what feels right for me and sometimes I have to hear it from dh, but I just can't handle hearing my baby cry. i want my son to have confidence and be independent, I don't want him to be too clingy. I just hope that this will parenting approach will help us get him there.
@mememama (3077)
Your hubby expects everything to be handed to him because he's a man lol. My hubby is the same way and his mothers parenting was really detached. I think men for some reason think we should toughen up our sons just to make them more macho, it doesn't always work.
give full attention to your child until he is at least 2 yrs old.... .....
@nica269 (1399)
Thanks for the advice...