I need some pet/vet help here.. I took my Buca boy to the vet last night

@shambuca (2560)
cause he's been limping (he has a tendency to hurt himself on walks or swimming) (Labs are know to be clumpsy) anyway- the vet checks his leg and Buca doesn't flinch, then the vet bends it and stretches it out and grabs his knee area and Buca yiped. Now without exraying him he says : I think he has pulled his ligament and you should have him on bed rest (yea right- he's 4 yrs old) for 2 weeks- no walks no swimming- and if he doesn't get better he may need surgery. He gave me some pills for him and Buca is not in as much pain. What do you think about this diagnosis-- I mean at 4 he needs sugery (which by the way costs $2000.00) without the dr even giving him any tests- does this seem right to you??? This dr has always been great with Buca and has never really steered me wrong but he has got me all nervous because he said with him being a big dog (95 Lbs) this can cause him problems.... have you had a problem like this with your pet??: what did you do??? please let me know what you think.
@mummymo (23707)
I haven't had this experience shambuca honey - and to be honest I am not that sure of what to say about poor Buca's injury. If you are concerned though, and you obviously and quite rightly are then I would say that you really should speak to your vet and talk through your concerns with him - he will probably be able to put your mind at rest! A lot of conditions do not show up on x-ray and maybe it is the type of injury he has seen many times before? Talk to the vet - I am sure he wouldn't be offended! xxx
@shambuca (2560)
he said he wants to see him in 2 weeks and see how he is
@mummymo (23707)
Sorry I didn't make it clear - concentration is bunkum just now! lol I meant if in 2 weeks he decides buca needs surgery you should share your concerns - I am sure he would prefer you did that than worry! xxx
@shambuca (2560)
I'm sure he will talk with me about it- but I know he will insist that he has surgery- right now i am living pay check to paycheck- there is no qay i can afford it.
@peaceful (3301)
When my Shep/Collie (Big Dog) mix broke his leg, he was almost a year old, and the vet re-set and casted it and told me that "natural healing will be the best thing"... that was then, and now it seem that every vet wants to perform the most radical (and expensive) procedures... I don't have pets any more (not yet) but I'm still very aware of what owners go through when their familiar gets injured.... My dog recovered and ran and played and jumped like the injury never happened... in my opinion, Nature will be able to repair almost anything that happens, to keep a mobile animal moving, given enough time and proper care... Here is the link to some pet care social networks: http://familypetservices.com/ http://www.thepetcenter.com/ and a link to discount pet meds: http://www.vetmeddirect.com/index.php?aff_id=peaceful I wish you and both your dogs the very best... If you need more resources, I'll be happy to find them for you, just PM me... Oh, take a visit to Bee Dogs, it might just cheer you up! :) http://www.beedogs.com
@shambuca (2560)
Thanks peaceful I can always count on you for support and a smile!!!! Gonna check out the site right now.
@shambuca (2560)
i love the beedogs___ omg how cute!!!! thanks!
@shambuca (2560)
my lab Boozer (my dog before Buca) used to just sit there and let you dress him in anything- he was such a laid back dog- people were always amazed at how he would just sit there...personally I think he liked it...he even won a doggy halloween costume contest at Petco-- 300.00 and we used the money to buy him all kinds of goodies and a seat belt for the car too (which we still have and use). Now Buca is a whole other story- he won't sit still for anything...lol...but I love him just the same- he really keeps me on my toes...lol
@TerryZ (22083)
I think you should listen to your vet and try to get him to rest. When I had a dog years ago she had almost the same thing. It took a really long time to heal. But it did on its own. NO surgery. I didnt have the money anyway for surgery. So hang in there and listen to the vet. Keep us updated too. And tell Buca I hope he feels better.LOL
@shambuca (2560)
I have every interntion to do my best to make sure he stays calm- however he has a mind of his own and like I said he's only 4 so he has lots of energy. I have no money for surgery either but I think that is what upsets me most is that if he really does need it how can I afford it??? I guess I should stop speculating until I see how he does.
@TerryZ (22083)
I know your upset about it and I would be too but just let things ride for now. And have some faith. Hugs to you.
@shambuca (2560)
Thanks Terry- by the way Love your avatar
@KrisNY (7591)
He said if he didn't get better than he needed surgery- I think I would follow the vets advice- try to limit Buca's exercise- until he looks like he is acting himself and not limping- Before I would get surgery I would go to a different vet to get a second opinion- just like with people. Maybe the vet has seen this alot- and didn't need to x-ray- I'm not sure- Good luck to you and Buca!
@shambuca (2560)
Buca is feeling better- he is dancing around already- but I won't let him go out anywhere for walks or swimming- the poor little guy has no clue why- I think -he thinks he's been bad.
@Woodpigeon (3710)
Gosh, you know I think your dog may have the same injury as a dog I was looking after. She was a whippet and retired from racing because her owners were afraid it was the $2000 situation you describe. She would limp and sometimes yelp, yet at other times tear around the place like she was ok. I took her to the vet and he stretched her leg out. He told me at the time that because the leg didn't extend all the way it was one of two problems with her (I'm pretty sure this was it but the spelling is probably worng) cruciate ligament. One, it was pulled and sore, two, it was shot and needed surgery to repair. He suggested the same treatment you describe and to give it ten days. He said normally if the ligament or knee was blown, the leg would extend fully and there would be no resistence. He said it looked good because he couldn't get the leg to extend more loosely than it was supposed to but he couldn't be sure it was just pulled. HIs reasoning for this was that even if the ligament was wrecked, she might have been in enough pain that the other muscles were kicking in and she was resisting allowing her leg to be stretched. I hope it is the minor case for you. It was with her and she went on to get a wonderful family. Had she needed that surgery I don't know what would have happened because it is hard enough to place healthy dogs. We think she was about four when it happened, and like I say, she had raced so had quite a bit of wear and tear. Just follow the orders o the letter, and hopefully the problem will resolve. Like the girl we looked after, maybe he is prone to hurting that area, especially if he is a bit clumsy?
@shambuca (2560)
Thank you - and yes it is the cruciate ligament- I appreciate you responding with a happy ending story- it gives me hope that my not so little guy will be okay at the end of two weeks- its just so hard to keep him from running around-and he always wants to play. Thank you again for all of your advice.
@jennybianca (12913)
Yes, I have had exactly what you desrcibe with my dalmation. It's most likely his cruciate ligament. Big dogs, who are silly & run around a lot, have a tendancy to tear their cruciate ligament. If that is what it is with your labrador (who are renoun for this condition too), he will need to have surgery to effect a complete cure. If he doesn't have surgery he will most likely get chronic arthritis in a year or two. Our dog cost $1000 (Ausssie$) to have his cruciate ligament repaired. Probably you are lucky that the vet is allowing time for bed rest, just in case it is a pulled ligament, rather than a tear. Eighteenth months after our dalmation had his operation, he tore the ligament in his other leg. We didn't get another operation done. He has very expensive inflamatory tablets.
@shambuca (2560)
that is exactly what the vet said- thank you i could not remember what the name of it was- i was just so stunned i think- i don't think he tore it just pulled it cause he is showing signs of improvement already- i appreciate your advice and if i have any more questions i will contact you-- thanks again!!!!!
@Nykkee (2523)
I probably shouldn't tell you think becaue it's not rally the best practise if you want your dog's vet to like you but you do what you have to do when your pet needs help and I have found the following loop hole. Well first off I will say find out if your vet offers financing, if not there is a simple solution, if the day comes that your pet needs surgery, if you can't cover it with a credit card or some other form of loaning, take him in, get what he needs done done, and wait until he is safely back in your arms before you tell them, look I'm really sorry but I don't have that money now, but I will pay you as quickly as I can if you will just set up a payment pla for me. This could work because it puts them in a corner, they want thier money, they have no leverage because you have your baby back, and you can't get blood from a stone, so if they want you to pay them they kind of have to let you do it when you can. This has worked for me on one occasion, however, the amount that I owed them was not nearly so much. Hey I just remembered something else, pet insurance. Alot of places don't ask for a vet visit to insure your pet until they are over 7 years old, so if your vet will work with you and pretend that his leg only started to hurt after the insurance is active then you would use the insurance for his surgery.
@shambuca (2560)
Yes I forgot about pet insurance - now there is a good thought-- thanks for the advice
I know how much you love your dogs. What a lot of money and could you afford it? Before I made any decisions I would definiely get at least 2 more opinions. Even contact your nearest Veterinary College because they often do sugeries for much less. The surgeries are performed under the watchful eye of the professor and the students are very, very careful so they actually pay more attention to the surgery that a busy local vet.
@shambuca (2560)
I never thought of that........that is a very good idea- I will look into that-- thank you so much!!! See this is exactly why I ask these kind of questions here- cause when you are upset you can't think straight and then people like you who can think logically give great suggestions.
@gabs8513 (48710)
No I haven't the only problem I had with my previous Lab was that his back legs where going because he was old and I know that is common in large Dogs I hope that your Dog will be ok
@shambuca (2560)
Yes I've had labs before (and yes when they get older they have problems with their legs) but they never had the problems this one does with hurting himself all the time...that Buca is one of a kind....lol...always into something
Pets really are a huge concern to us at times aren't they? I don't really have any experience with your Buca's injury to be honest, but I'm sure your vet knows whats best. Of course if you can't afford surgery, then it could be an idea to ask your vet if there are any other options such as having Buca wearing a splint on his leg till it's healed. It might take a little bit of time, but it'll ensure that he doesn't have too much weight on his leg if you can't keep him calm. Please keep us updated.
@shambuca (2560)
Thnkas for the idea- maybe I will ask my vet about it if he doesn't get better soon.
@UDDERONES (888)
I am so sorry to hear about Buca. I think if it were me, I would try to keep him off of his leg and see if it will heal. Maybe just some rest and the medicine will help it and heal it. I don't know what to tell you about the surgery. Man 2000.00 is alot of money. I think I would get a second opinion if it doesn't heal. Goodluck and let us know about your doggie.
@shambuca (2560)
We will definately get a second opinion- and trying to keep him calm and resting, is like holding back a damn of water---lol
I have never had anything like this happen to me or my animals , maybe you should have him looked at again by a new doctor ... Good luck
@shambuca (2560)
If he doesn't get better I will - thanks
I personally think if it were me, I would go to another vet and see what he said. Also, whatever ultimately needs to be done, needs to be done. If an operation is needed, then perhaps a payment plan will work. If not, use the credit card and pay it off. I hope that you poor Buca gets better on his own. I will pray for him, as there is power in prayer.
@shambuca (2560)
Thanks Margie- he is showing signs of improvement already- but any and all prayers are welcome- thats my baby and he has lots of life left to live- and he is so active- this would be a horrible thing for him.
@classy56 (2882)
if it was me i would take the dog to another vet for a second opinion.your vet gave buca some pills for pain,but thats not going to get rid of whatever is wrong with buca."its funny your vet said give him some bed rest" your vet must crazy.lol an for the vet not doing any xrays dont sound right.get a 2nd opinion before any surgery.
@shambuca (2560)
Yes my husband and I talked about it- we will get a second opinion before surgery... the pills are for pain, anit inflamitory, and to help him sleep.