Facts about Roses
June 17, 2007 4:42pm CST
For some reason this discussion has been deleted. I guess it was a mistake made by a moderator, so I am reposting it. Did you know there are over 700 plants that are poisonous to cats and that one of them are roses?I found a site with a list of those plants. You might be surprised by some of them. http://www.earthclinic.com/Pets/poisonous_plants.html Even roses appear to be poisonous to pets, somehow that doesn't surprise me. I am allergic to them and break out in hives as soon as I touch them. This is why I won't even plant them or go near them. I also found an interesting site that talks about the dangers of rosegardens and all the trouble it can bring. I find it interesting, especially since rosegardens are always being used as a metaphor for a trouble free life. Sporothrix schenckii: This evil fungus lurks on the thorns of roses and can cause an infection in humans called sporotrichosis, or "rose picker's disease." The first symptom is usually a small painless red nodule that appears several weeks after a seemingly innocent pr1ck by a thorn. Left untreated, the infection continues to spread via the lymphatic channels, causing additional nodules to appear in lines on the skin as the infection progresses up an arm or leg. The lesions eventually open and can resemble hideous ulcerated boils that are very slow to heal. Infrequently, sporotrichosis affects the lungs, joints, or central nervous system and can cause serious illness or even death. Other frightening pathogens that may enter through thorn wounds and cause unpleasant symptoms in gardeners include Nocardia brasiliensis, Mycobacterium fortuitum, Candida parapsilosis, and a host of others. They're eveywhere. And this little list of rosy dangers doesn't even include things like knife-sharp pruning shears, runaway chainsaws, carcinogenic pesticides, killer bees, falling trees, or those wicked renegade climber canes that can suddenly lash out without warning, severely lacerating your face beyond recognition and shredding your eyeballs like confetti. These are the grave perils we face every day in our rose gardens. But are we daunted or dismayed? Do we allow the forces of evil to divert us from our noble mission? No! We do not! Why? Because--come on now, say it with me--We are Mighty Rose Warriors! And we are a proud, fearless, tough, indomitable breed! Excerpt from this site:http://www.regannursery.com/news/archive/2005/050126.htm This article also talks about how these little poisonous snakes like to hide around the roots of the roses. I find these are some interesting facts and I might never look at roses the same way again. How do these facts influence the way you think about roses?
2 people like this
• United States
17 Jun 07
Bloody hell, that freaking crazy. I knew there was a reason I didn't like roses. I never liked them because I thought they were too commerical, everyone thinks they are great for every occasion. They lose their smell to quickly, they whither to quick and frankly they cost to much for what you get. Me I'm a carnations type person. They last longer, they are prettier, and they smell better, also apperently they can't freaking kill you lol.
1 person likes this
• United States
19 Jun 07
Wow! I have never heard of a person being allergic to roses! But I guess is it possible because you are and there are many allergies out there. Oh! And the evil fungus that infects the person by being stuck with the thorn...I have actually known someone that was infected by a thorn. Of course I was much much younger when that happened...and so we were not allowed to go near the roses after that happened. But thanks for the really interesting reading. I would say that your original discussion was deleted by mistake too. :) Thanks for reposting!!!
18 Jun 07
I just want to point out that the rose flower itself is not poisonous. We people can eat the flower. I have found nothing on the web to say that the plant is poisonous to animals however the other dangers you pointed out with fungus and blood infections are real problems. Out if interest because I don't allow poisonous plant into my home with my 3 dogs, 4 cats and kids I called my doctor and the plant is not toxic to humans, then I called the SPCA and my vet clinic to check on animal toxicity and they both said the plant is fine but the fungus and other aspects are a problem. I have a 4 year old cat that loves roses for dinner, every time I bring roses in he eats the flower and we have never had problems with poisoning he did have urinary crystals but the vet said that they are not caused by roses. Like I said the other problems you point out is a very real aspect to growing roses.
18 Jun 07
Thanks for telling such a different and nice thing to all of us. I wish people who started believing rose as symbol of love should have known this, then roses wouldnt have been this important and also some buks of loverboys would have been put into good use..lol!
• United States
17 Jun 07
Well, I like my roses anyway! Even if they are evil, nasty little things that harbor dangerous reptiles. I may not look at roses the same way, but I will still plant them. I especially like the purple-shaded ones. Since my cats are inside cats I don't worry about them. When they manage to get out they go straight for the long grass. Roses can be useful, though. I recycle my fish heads as rose food. They LOVE them!