Austin & its crazy streets!

@ElicBxn (61063)
Austin is a kind of crazy town. I don’t know about your town/city, but Austin has this crazy problem with its streets. It just can’t seem to keep them the same name all along their length. There’s a street named Justin Lane. It turns into Pegram Avenue when it crosses Burnet Road, then turns a corner and becomes Vine Street. Or, a more important street. It comes into town as 290 on the east side. Changes its name to Koenig Lane, crosses Burnet Road changes to Allandale Road, gets down and crosses another street called Shoal Creek Blvd and becomes Northland Drive. It finally leaves the west side of Austin as Ranch Road 2222. I’m going to come back to Shoal Creek in a moment. There’s Cameron Road that gets to Rundburg Drive and changes to Dessau Road. And Metric Blvd that proceeds north then changes to Thermal Drive. But I’ve saved the best for last! Highway 183 goes from the south east to the north west part of town. As it comes into town it is 183. It joins Hwy 71 and is know as Bastrop Hwy until it crosses the river. Then it becomes Ed Bluestein Blvd. It goes north up the east side of town, turns west and changes its name to Anderson Lane. When it crosses Lamar Blvd it changes its name again to Research Blvd. It continues to be Research Blvd until it leaves Austin at Hwy 620 and then becomes South Bell Blvd for Cedar Park. I’m guessing that it does finally become 183 again at some point! I do know the hwy goes all the way to Oklahoma! Now, about Shoal Creek Blvd. (and I have a friend that swears I can’t go anywhere in town without involving Shoal Creek Blvd. If, you are on the west side of town, tho it can be hard, not to at least cross it at some point. It seriously starts at 35th St and goes all the way up to Research Blvd. But there are pieces of the road that actually run from 11th St off & on up the actual Shoal Creek. Now, we have another street that does that off and on thing called Middle Fiskville Road. Now, I know the stories behind why Shoal Creek & Middle Fiskville are like they are, and I know why 183 does most of its name changes. I even remember when Allandale & Northland actually WERE 2 different roads, tho they still did the crazy thing of Allandale running into Northland like it does. I’m guessing that Metric was just continued and ran into a previously existing country lane name Thermal. And natives wonder why new comers can’t figure out this town. We have a highway called Loop 1 (that does NOT Loop) and NO native calls it that - its MoPac. Even where it doesn’t run along the Missouri Pacific Railroad!
@santuccie (3382)
Yah, we have those here in CA. There was one in Fremont with at least four names I was aware of, but it's been five years since I last lived there. I can remember Driscoll, then Osgood, then Warm Springs. I forget the fourth, and there may be more as it passes through Milpitas (pretty sure it's Milpitas).
@ElicBxn (61063)
And I was really only talking about North Austin since that's the part I know the best. I, literally, learned to drive on Shoal Creek Blvd. since I lived on a street that connected to it when I learned to drive in the late 1960's.
@santuccie (3382)
I've never been to TX. My grandparents have been to Austin before. They tell me there's enough armadillo squash on the road to feed a family for months, is this true? :P
@santuccie (3382)
Of course, there are probably more streets in Fremont with multiple names as well. I lived in Irvington, which is one of five districts in Fremont (five towns merged into one big city). :P
My town is wacky with it's streets too.one side of the street will have one name and the other side another name.We have street names that end with one street and you will go a couple of streets away and see the same street name. The one patient's house i go is on a u shaped road and there are two more small streets in the middle of the u yet they have the same name!.drives me crazy.At least in Jersey all the streets are as they are supposed to be
@ElicBxn (61063)
Different names on different sides of the street - now that's a new one on me! I do kind of know about streets all having the same name, at least in Austin they are required to put different endings on them - drive, court, circle, lane, you know. They might not have had them before becoming incorperated.
some of the streets down here do and some don't .like for instance you have s.e.47th st,se47th terrace,se47 ave,it's enough to drive a person insane,lol
@Phlamingho (7831)
• Denmark
At least that makes the town a little interesting, by town has very straigt streets - a very planned city - which is very boring at times.
@ElicBxn (61063)
Oklahoma City is like that and all of them almost are numbered, EXCEPT, they go from south west to north east & northeast to southwest. So, they are like SW 127th st. Then, to throw a further kink in it, they have LAKES! that show up in the middle of the roads so you have to drive around the lake to get to more of the road!
This does sound crazy and really confusing . I would only last it there about an hour before I would leave . If I could find my way out of there ...
@gberlin (3836)
I would hate to be a delivery person in Austin! Very confusing. We have road name changes in Michigan but it is because the road changes counties.
@worldwise1 (14887)
Whoa, ElicBxn! You've really got my head spinning. I don't see how anyone could possibly get anywhere in a timely manner with such a conglomeration of thoroughfares as Austin has. I don't drive, but I can imagine how hard it would be for a driver to keep them all straight. I guess you probably would have to be a native to get around town with any ease.
@addysmum (1225)
Victoria BC is like that. There is a street that runs along the water it is called Dallas Ave then turns into Beach Drive. We have roads that on maps look like they go straight through but when you get there a building is in the middle of the street or even better the ocean is in the way. I have seen tourists freaking out over the streets in Victoria. The thing that tops it all off is all the one way streets that become pedestrian only. They also have made this great wide sidewalks for people to walk on but it makes it very difficult for vehicles to move around. Calgary also had the same thing. I don't remember exact name changes but it is fun getting around in that town. The other thing Calgary does is they name all the streets in a subdivision the same. If you are in Beddington then the street names are Beddington drive, Beddington way, Beddington street, and on. It is a lot of great fun to move around in a city of 1 million people and try to find something with all the streets changing names and named the same.
I think I'll just stay out of Austin, thank you very much!! LOL! I'm lucky I can find my way home most of the time -- talk about being directionally challenged!! I'd need a guide 24/7 for sure!
@Katlady2 (9920)
Good grief! I got lost already just reading that. I can just picture me trying to drive there. It would be a hopeless situation I think. LOL I'm lucky...I live in a small rural town, and the streets don't change their names unless it's one of the ones out in the country. But I usually don't take those roads, so I'm safe.