Losing weight in mid-life

Why is losing weight at 49 so hard? I will be 50 in 2 months, have been a diabetic for 13 years and I seem to gain weight slowly but surely every year. I tried on some jeans that I fit in perfectly this time last year and can't close them. I haven't changed my eating habits much, but maybe that's the problem. I have started making healthier food choices but I still don't see much of a change. I know I'm not going to lose the weight overnight, but I need something to keep me motivated. I don't know, I guess I'll just keep eating healthier and sooner or later I will see a change. Does anyone have any suggestions or experiences like mine?
Is your diabetes well controlled? You said you havent really changed your dietary habits, so I am assuming it isnt very well controlled. That has to be your first goal to losing weight. If you cant control your sugar you probably will continue to gain weight. One piece of advice i can give you is if you drink regular soda or other sweetened drinks to stop. They make up more than half of your daily calorie intake with no nutritional substance to them whatsoever. There are flavored carbonated waters out there that are great with no calories and great flavor, walmarts sams choice flavored water is the best and least expensive of all of them, you dont get a after taste either. You will find if you drink diet soda or flavored water that they are natural diuretics and you will see weight start to come off. Start with that, that is a big one, second you need to add some form of light exercise at least 3 times a week for 30 min each. If you can go for a walk great, that is the best way to start. To lose 2.5 pounds per week you need to cut 500 calories per day somewhere. You can do 250 from food and 250 from exercise. Just be sure to monitor your glucose level more frequently at first as this will be a shock to your body and you dont want to become hypogycemic
I have been getting some really good readings here lately, so I seem to be controlling my sugar pretty well right now. I drink diet soda and flavored water. My doctor tells me to drink nothing but water, but that's so boring. I have also been doing exercises, but I've been known to stop for a whole week and then start back. The healthier food choices have been something I've started just recently and it's really too soon to tell if it's working. But I assume it will if I stick to it. Thanks for your response.
I wish you the best of luck. As you said you need to be consistent and stick with it. Otherwise your body will only fluctuate which is one of the worst things a diabetic can do to their bodies
hi.as u r diabetic the tendency of ur body should be to loose weight rather than gaining it.but exercise will definitely improve your health as it would reduce your obesity as well as its good for the diabetics as well.because excercise increase glucose entry into the cells independent of insulin.wat medication r u following?
I am taking insulin and Actos which both are really working well for me. If I had decided to listen to my doctor and start eating healthy about 5 years ago, I wouldn't be in this mess now. But hopefully it's not too late. Wish me luck and thanks for your response.
According to the latest results about dieting an Article in one of the later mags from Esquire the one with Hale Berry on the front and she is HOT! You have to begin calorie counting folowing what you normally consume during the day. Do this for a week or two trying not to deviate from what you normally eat. Then reduce the calorie content by 100 calories a day. Any thing more and you will slow your metabolism down and it won't make a difference cept you will be hungry. I f you can reduce by 100 calories per day then you will lose a pound a month or around 10 lbs per year. After 3 years well you do the math! I think also an increase in activity will help as well just don't increase the amt you eat......
Thanks for your response. I'll keep everything you said in mind and maybe in 3 years I'll look like Halle Berry (just kidding).
@myfanwy65 (1030)
It is normal for your metabolism to slow down as you get older. This makes it harder to stay the same size. Since you are diabetic you really need to exercise. This can be just 30 minutes a day of walking. This will not only help you lose weight, but the exercise uses up excess sugar, as energy, that is in your system. It will give you lower blood glucose readings and will help your overall health. Exercise really is the key to losing weight and being healthier. I am 41 and I was just diagnosed with diabetes about 7 months ago. When I exercise, I don't have any problems. When I don't, my blood sugar and my blood pressure go up, no matter how healthily I'm eating.
Thanks for your response. I will start excercising more and see if that helps; it certainly has helped so far. I'm a little ashamed of myself for waiting this long to finally decide to do what I should've been doing years ago. Even though I didn't expect to have a figue 8 all my life, I didn't expect all these problems either. Hopefully it's not too late for me. Thanks again.
i think that's because when you get older, your body's proportion is changing. the fatty proportion is higher than the water and muscle proportion. muscle has a big role in metabolism and make up energy. that's why your metabolism is decreased and even if you're taking exercise that you usually do, your weight is still the same. just continued your healthy eating habit. consult with your doctor or nutritionist. as it suggest above, walk a little every morning won't hurt you. walk is the most simple and effective way of exercise and losing weight. try as much as you can to walk. park your car a little bit far. buy grocery on the market that quite far from your house. take your dog a walk in the afternoon.
Hi, I would Love to inspire you! Action and reaction are 2 things that Diabetics are responding to, my mother was not diagnosed until her 40's. Thru nutritional changes and supplements her sugar levels are lower than tehy ever been, I also have her on a wonderful product that I would Love to share with you. I pray that God will also heal every cell and that your pancreas sustain this healing and every ounce of insulin be allowed to be well and whole. I declare this today and now! In Jesus Name. If you are interested, please email me at: kacoghlan@msn.com Put information on Weight Balance and Sugar Control. God Bless, Kristy