Avacado-from pit to plant

Today I bought an avacado to have with my dinner. I reember when I was younger, my nana puting toothpicks in the large pit and putting it in a glass of water to grow a plant. I would love to try that, but as anyone who has seem my gardeing discussions can attest to, I have a bit of a black thumb. I am wondering if anyone has done this pit thing, and if they can give me any tips on being successful with it. Also, once you have a plant, what type of conditions does this plant like? Full sun? partial? Moist soil?
I live in California darling, we are the Avacado Capital of the world. It needs lots of sun and plenty of water.
Avacado capital of the world....you are so lucky! I love them so much :-)
I know, everyone I know loves Avocados. How can you not?
@squaretile (3833)
wow - never knew seeds grew with toothpicks inside. how does it help actually? by allowing more water to seep into the fruit? I alwasy thought seeds had to be kept whole to grow well. otherwise they'd be damaged and the food on the inside to nutrify the seedling might be affected? I once saw my mum grow a small chili plant. she just scattered some tiny seeds in a pot and they grew! it was under partial sun for the day. yes moist soil, frequent watering but should not be waterlogged otherwise the roots will decay.
@HighReed1 (1126)
We didn't push the toothpicks in real far. It just holds the pit out of the water. If you sink the whole thing, it won't do anything but rot. It worked with avocado pits. I don't know if it works with other seeds. And NEVER do it with bulbs!
@Nardz13 (5059)
• New Zealand
Hi. Wow, for me reading the information about growing an avocado plant, is so interesting to know and makes me eager to give it go and grow one myself... Im curious to know what it looks like and how it will grow... Thanks...
@HighReed1 (1126)
You can grow an avocado from the pit if you get one that has not been irradiated. Once they have been zapped, they won't grow. We used to take ours and put four toothpicks in (like a crossroads) so we could hang the toothpicks over the edge of a glass and the bottom would hang down. Fill the glass with water to keep the bottom covered. Check the level every day. We never planted ours. We just let it grow in the water and kept it in the kitchen. You might ask someone at a garden shop once yours starts growing shoots.