A bountiful harvest

@creematee (2810)
I just wanted to share my tomatoes with everyone. Since I can't snail mail them to everyone, I thought this would be the next best way. LOL! This is the 3rd harvest of 'maters we've made this summer. I have gotten several pints of salsa, and tomato sauce made up already. This batch is going into spaghetti sauce. The yellow makes the sauce turn a sweet orange color, but they are still tasty! I'm not a real big fan of eating them right out of the garden, but I do enjoy those yellow ones. Oh, they are only the size of a silver dollar (about 1" in diameter!) I think my biggest reward from these is that I started them from seeds myself! I usually have no luck with seed starting, but these little guys did me a big service by deciding to survive!
@youdontsay (3503)
Congrats on the harvest! I have one tomatoe plant, a patio plant in a large pot, and I've had one beautiful tomato from it. I love them picked ripe and sweet. However, the chipmunk also loves them, even eats the green ones! I think I might give up on tomatoes. This is the third year in a row that I've only gotten one piece of fruit from my vines. This way it is cheaper to buy them at the grocery.
@creematee (2810)
What to do about that little chipmunk? He causes a lot of trouble, doesn't he? Have you tried growing cherry or grape tomatoes? They are quite a bit smaller than the large beef steak fruit, but you still get quite a harvest from them.
Yes, I tried cherry tomatoes and didn't do well with them either. I don't know if the chipmunk was eating them then. I only noticed him on the vine this year, so he may have been the culprit all along. I hope he gets a tummy ache from all those green tomatoes. Of course, he's probably storing them for the winter and they will be ripe by then.
@creematee (2810)
Maybe you just need to catch him, and put HIM in the pot! With all the seeds in his tummy, he should be starting to sprout anyday now. LOL!
@webeishere (36353)
I love yellow roma tomatoes. So tasty. keep up thwe great gardening.
@creematee (2810)
Those yellow tomatoes really surprised me! I didn't think they would be so good, but they are as sweet as apples!
Tomatoes seem to be very difficult to grow, I have never done well with them, but then I am not fond of tomatoes either so that may be part of the problem...lol.
@creematee (2810)
You know, tomatoes aren't my favorite either, but my hubby loves homemade salsa, and the tomato sauce I made last summer made our chili taste even better! I guess that's why I planted an over abundance this summer. As far as ease of growing, it depends on your soil, patience, and it does take some skill. Start with a little plant in a big container, and you can have a great feast!