Sydney Fortress for APEC. The land of the Free?

Australia
Australia is about to lose its status of the land of the free... and everything which goes with it. I have never seen such a thing in Australia. What has happened to us? Is John Howard paranoid? Is there something he is not telling us? A five-kilometre-long, 2.8 metre-high fence will be used to lock up sections of Sydney's CBD during the Asia-Pacific Economic Co-operation summit. The fence is 2.8 meters high and will sit on concrete blocks 1.6 tonnes in weight each. The fence will be set up on the gutters of large parts of the northern end of the city and have pedestrian crossing points manned by police. Most of the city outside the fence will be manned by police with the power to stop people and search them. This is not Australia. This is Nazi Germany. And for what? Please tell me...
I think you may be slightly over-reacting. I presume this is only a temporsry wall, and is purely an anti0terrorism defence, whilst so many world leaders and important political figures are in one place. Simialr walls have been erected in cities every time the European Heads of State, or G8 leaders, hold a conference together. It'll soon be gone, and isn't America supposed to be the 'land of free'?
Maybe so... but Australia is not Europe or America. Australia has never been subject to a terrorist attack and we pride ourselves of being a country where people can walk the streets without fear. We keep saying that we will not let terrorism affect our lifestyle... because this would mean that the terrorists have won. But building fences around a city to hide behind... is it not saying that we are scare and that the terrorists have won?
Having been lucky enough to have visited Australia, and particularly enjoyed Melbourne, I can vouch that I certainly felt safe on the streets. Unfortunately, many Ausatrlians were in Bali, when the terrorists attacked there. Whilst not caused by Aussies, these leaders all sat together in one place would be a very juicy target for any of a dozen different groups. Not all would be terrorists, there could even be a few foreign government agencies who might feel it beneficial to behave in a naughty fashion. I don't think these people hiding will impact too much on the average Aussie, who's probably, and rightly, more interested in the forthcoming Rugby World Cup in France, than a load of cowardly politicos. Don't let them get you down, it's bad enough its Winter, and no thrashing of Whinging Poms for a while. Enjoy life, all the best.
@abbey19 (3129)
• Gold Coast, Australia
I tend to agree with you that they are going over the top with their security precautions for the APEC summit in Sydney. However, it's only temporary, and things will soon be back to normal, so I wouldn't stress too much. Unfortunately, Australia is no different to any other country now - the terrorism threat can't be ignored. Perhaps you should take a holiday on the Gold Coast for the duration of the Summit?