web based phone service?

@xfahctor (14126)
Lancaster, New Hampshire
September 1, 2007 7:07pm CST
Im not talking about the standard Voip phone that work through your ISP, Im talking about phones that run directly off your computers modem through an existing internet connection. I get my service through a shared wireless net connection from my neighbor so I dont have my own ISP. I want something where I can plug a phone in to my computers built in modem rather than use the computer's sound card and have calls come and go to and from it over the internet. Any one know of such software?
2 responses
@zxtzxt (214)
• Philippines
8 Jan 08
Most voip providers can be use using an ATA (analog teelphone adapter) devide that you plug in your regular telephone (house phone) and your dsl connection. Your voip service now can be use without having to turn on your computer. I am confused when you said "Any one know of such software?" because obviously you were asking/looking for a hardware device. ATA is plugged in to your router (router is connected to your DSL modem) and it is also plugged in to your regular telephone. Grandstream is a good brand when it comes to ATA device and I use it on my Onesuite.com voip account. I get incoming calls (unlimited for free) thru my regular telephone (attached to ATA device) that is connected to the internet (thru Router and DSL modem). I can either use Softphone to answer the call (If my PC is turned on) or use my regular telephone. Skype on the other hand can not be use using the regular ATA you can find in the market today. They have their own set of Skype phone (which can be use only with Skype) which is somewhat useless if you decided not to use Skype service anymore. Onesuite link is www.onesuite.com Skype link is www.skype.com
@langhua (501)
• China
2 Sep 07
net phone will have a good develop in the future.
@xfahctor (14126)
• Lancaster, New Hampshire
2 Sep 07
I've looked in to this a little further and discovered that there are some Voip services now that offer pc based rather than device based service. This would theoreticaly get me what i need if i can find one that will work with a usb phone.
20 Sep 07
Well you can't use the built in modem. You can use a crossover cable and connect an ATA to your computer and then use a standard phone with it or as you said use a USB phone. There are a few softwares and services that can be used. As somebody mentioned before skype is the most commonly used service/software. There are plenty more and if you did a search you will find them. One that works without any downloads has been blogged by somebody and I wouldn't want to write about it again, so here is the link http://voipguides.blogspot.com/2007/09/earthcaller-voip-resumed-with-free-usa.html
1 person likes this