Tips on keeping spiders away

So, my wife and I are moving our bedroom down to the lowest level of the house. The problem is, that the room has a drop ceiling, and during the fall we get giant spiders left and right coming into the house. Does anyone have any hints for keeping them away, that won't be a distraction like moth balls will. I've heard there is an electronic device that keeps repels bugs and insects, but I don't know how well that works. Any help here will be great. I really don't feel like waking up to a hairy spider crawling all over me.
@coolseeds (3921)
Why would putting mothballs around the foundation of the house be a "distraction"?
well around the foundation it wouldn', so long as it was outside. But the hints I've been told are set them out around the bedroom, and it will keep them away. I just don't want my bedroom to smell like mothballs is all.
@coolseeds (3921)
Then you should create a boundary of moth balls around the foundation of your home. If you have mulch or gravel you can cover the moth balls with it so you don't have to look at it. There are also sprays available that you can spray around your foundation and around doors as a deterrent. An ounce of prevention is what is best in your situation. Keep them out before it gets cold. Most people try after they have already come inside. Obviously it is too late.