Can you make all of your vacation plans with in a week or 2???

@Debs_place (10524)
I started a new job just over 6 months ago. As of last week I have vacation time coming. I was told I get 3 weeks a year. I was happy with this when I found out. Early last month, I put in a vacation request. As of yesterday, I heard nothing. I inquired about it and was told that they do not have to give me approval until 1-2 weeks before my actual vacation. I was also told I should never count on being approved for vacation and should never put money into vacation plans until I have the written approval in my hands. Does this seem wrong to anyone else? How can a vacation be planned and coordinated with everyone in the family and plans made when you can't get an approval. Am I the odd one here? What would you do? BTW my vacation request was not for during the summer or Christmas or Thanksgiving or prime vacation time so I made plans and pay money and booked flights figuring that I would get an approval.
@gberlin (3836)
It may be that those with seniority get to pick first and if you picked the same dates as someone with more seniority then they would automatically get the requested days. I guess you are at the bottom working you way up.
@Debs_place (10524)
no, they don't count seniority. The average employee in this place are less then 5 years. In the area I work in, no oneoutside of the manager is there more then 2 years. No one has requested the dates. Like I said, these are non-prime days. Mid - october. All summer long people took their vacations, I am the only one with time left, everyone else want Christmas off..and I said I will work OT to cover them.
@gberlin (3836)
Wow, that is going to be hard to make any plans, especially if you are flying. Flights at the last minute always cost more. It seems like they could let you know a bit earlier. I am glad that I am a teacher and I know for sure when it is time for vacations. Good luck, and sorry for the vacation problem.
@Debs_place (10524)
Well, I got off of the phone with someone who has been there for 14 years and she missed last years vacation because she did not get approved. She applied 8 months in advance and heard nothing until the week before. By then she had rent a place for a week, and had booked airline reservations and bought tickets to see some rather expensive events.
@Polly1 (12646)
One thing, its nice you have vacation time coming after only 6 months. Companies usually want you to work at least a year before giving you time off. I think the company should give you plenty of notice when approving vaction time. You have to make plans when you travel, specially plane reservations, stuff like that. Some airlines won't give you money back for airline tickets, thats not fair but thats how they do things.
@Debs_place (10524)
I think they do that because of the stress of the job...for example last night I was assaulted by one of the guys. I ended up in the emergency room with a concussion. We are under constant stress and physical harm comes quite regularly, though this was the worse incident for me.
@Polly1 (12646)
Oh my thats horrible, do you get extra for hazard pay. Do you work with people who have behavior problems? Good luck with your new marriage, vacation plans and be careful on the job.
@Debs_place (10524)
Yes, the people I work with are devlopmentally disabled adults, the week he assaulted me, he assaulted someone else who quit. Since then he has fallen and broken a collar bone and is having anaphylactic reactions to an unknown substance. We are responsible. As for our salary..I need to work at 15 hours a week OT to cover my basic living expenses...I have no credit card, loans or car payments other then my mortgage.
@pyewacket (44032)
That's ludicrous...I never heard of such a stupid "rule"---So many places one may want to vacation to, you might have to plan months in advance. And then what too, what if you did make all those plans in advance, even during the allowed two weeks advance notice, and they don't approve of when you want to go...idiotic!
@Debs_place (10524)
That is exactly the way I feel, I know they are short staff, but the way to keep staff is to make them happy, not to play games like this. I told my manager at my interview that I had planned to go on vacation in October. This is a multipurpose trip - see my son who in in the Navy and have a honeymoon (got married last week) and these people say I may not be able to go and should not make plans until I get their approval. That is nuts...My next real trip will not be until 2010, but I think I will look for a new job in the meantime. I can't wait for people like this to make up their minds. BTW This agency deals in human rights, I guess they apply for everyone but the employees.
@pyewacket (44032)
The agency you work for is involved with human rights?? What a laugh...Oh, BTW...congratulations on your recent marriage... ;)
@Debs_place (10524)
Thanks.
@KrisNY (7591)
Wow--- that is totally unreasonable! You have to book your flights and hotels in advance to get better rates- Is the company going to pay the extra that it costs you- for the short notice booking? My workplace is different- I can put in for time at any time and usually get the approval/denial within a day or 2. If it’s a busy time or holiday that I am requesting- we always work things out- way before hand. I think the policy there stinks! Man I’d be mad if I put in and already got the tickets and they deny you! WTH!
@Debs_place (10524)
I talked with someone who does an annual trip and had a condo and flights and everything paid for..it is a family reunion thing. Every year she asks for the same week. For 15 years, the 3rd week in october...not holiday time, not prime vacation time. She had the request in for 3 months. One week before and she was denied it. Now, she still works, but counts the days to retirement and no longer gives her all!
@naty1941 (2336)
Well you have two options, quit this job and go on your vacation, or not go on vacation. I wouldn't want to work for a company like this one.
@Debs_place (10524)
That is sort of the way I feel..I am planning on looking for another job.