Education

Australia
How much your parents influenced your decision about education eg. which school/university you chose to attend and your career. My parents told me it was my life and I should choose what I wanted to do in life.
@makingpots (11920)
My parents were WAY too involved in the decisions. More so my dad than my mom. He practically told me where I would be going for college and while I had decided myself to study nursing, he pretty much told me that I will be studying that because it is the best thing for me. I approached him once about studying Respiratory Therapy and told him that I had found a college with a great program. No, he overruled it, told me I would be studying nursing at the college I went to. Period. My freshman year was a real time of discovery for me once I was out from under his power over me. I grew a backbone and made some decisions that he was not happy with but all has turned out okay. A weird irony about all of this. My father currently suffers from COPD - a respiratory ailment that will never go away.
wow so did you end up doing what you always wanted? how does he feel about it now?
@makingpots (11920)
Well not exactly. But my life has played out beautifully so I have no complaints at this point. I graduated with a degree in Finance. It is a long story how that all came about. It took me many years to 'get over' my father, but we have a good relationship today. We never really talk about these things. That is just how it is in my family.
well thats a great story you want one thing your father another and you chose a third option that a great win win situation.
@MisterPlus (1917)
When I was in high school I knew already what i want to take up into college. I enrolled to Communication Arts because it is what I enjoy most. But when my parents knew about it they opposed. They want me to be a nurse and I shifted to Nursing to make them both happy. I never had the chance to practice my Nursing profession yet I was an Art Director for two local movies and did countless TV commercials.
Do you think it was worth you doint that for your parents?
I made them happy for once and I guess it is time for me to have my own decision and they trusted me to do it. We are all happy now with the decisions we made and we proven ourselves that we are all right about it. I can use my knowledge in nursing for the whole family and I am making them happy to what I am presently doing.
@roniroxas (10574)
well i have 4 kids and i always tell them that having education or graduating college is one kind of richness in the world that nobody can get away from you. its in you and can take it wherever you go. i am not rich and that is the only thing i can give them.... to have a good education... nurture it is the best thing to do with it.
I know what you ar saying and I guess every parent feels the same way. But would you insist on you chold going to a certain school because you want him/her to go there iven if your child does not want that. Say you want your child to be a doctor but his dream is to be a teacher.
@roniroxas (10574)
yes you are right. i am not that kind of parent who will insist my children to be a doctor if they want to be a pilot. next year my first born will be at college and he wants to study culinary. i will support him on whatever he wants to take up. i was once a college student to and my parents suggested me to be a lawyer but they are supportive to when i took up communication arts.
@andyliuzn (1029)
Well, they did help to make decision of higher eduction,but I am still the last one who fill the form:) Andy
thats true but most often than not they hold the wallet many parents use that againt their kids.
@diillu (5128)
My parents had quite a influence in my educational life. They always encouraged me and always paid full attention to my studies. Whenever I secured low grades in any subject then they would give me idea to improve my grades in that subject. Mom would even home tutor me. And about which college to go, they always provided me a good suggestions and good options but never pressured. It was always my descision but they were always there to make sure that I was going on the right track.
well it is good that you had such a great influence and help from your parents, it showes that they cared about you and your future very much.