First Debit Card

I just got my first Debit Card. I don't really know how to use it lol. I haven't used it let but I'm guessing I'm going to have to use it when I go Christmas Shopping. Just thought I'd share that useless little bit of information! lol. Comment please =P
@bowtieguy (5924)
One thing to keep in mind when using a debet card is to always try and use it as a credit card when you can or your bank will usualy charge you like a dollar or two for each transaction, and will charge you when you use it to make a withdraw sometimes as well, and your depet card is not protected liek a credit crad is so I wouldn't use it online, in case someone stelas your number you will never get back any of the money they spent, it is very conveint though when making quick trips to the store and things like that and the money comes straight out of your account so you don't have to worry about paying it off later, just make sure you do not spend more that you have in you account or the bank will it you with intrest and it may takes years to pay it all off, I hope this information is helpful for you.
I didn't even know you could use your debit card for credit. It even says Debit on the card. What's the difference between using it as debit and credit? My bank doesn't charge for my to take money out of any of their ATMs, and my mom says they usually won't charge for me to use it. She knows more than I do about it lol.
@bowtieguy (5924)
The only benifit to using your card as a credit is usualy banks charge to do it other wise for some reason, at least mine dose the teller even said to use it as a credit if you can, I think it is only like a 1.50 or something, it's great if your bankd dosent though maybe I should switch to them instead of the one I have now.
Wait the banks charge for you to use it as credit? Or was that just a mistype? My teller didn't tell me to use it as credit, I think she specified that it was a debit card. But I know she told me they don't charge when I withdraw money from any of their ATMs, and I don't think they charge for me to use my card, she didn't mention anything about that.
Try not to over draft your acct that is where it gets messy. I use to over draft so much. Now I don't use the card in stores I just use it to cash my checks for free. Good luck I forget to keep a record so I end up paying out the azz.
lol well i already got my records going :) I haven't spent anything from it, just pu tpay checks in my account :) I assume over drafting means spending money you don't have =P I'll be very careful about that! hehe. Thanks for the response! :)
@bizmom (515)
OH and what i learned from some debit cards thatif i do it as CREDIT u WONT get charged that extra $1.50 per transaction!! way cool! i do it that way now :) Im not sure where u are or what kind u have.. but try it one time see if it works - the worst that can happen is it WONT go through..no BIGGIE!! just ask the person to REDO it as debit! :) no problems :) xx and yeah be careful of the charges of WHERE u take your cash out from too - ur charged for each one $1.50 as well ( depending on the bank) :( GOOD LUCK!! :) XX
Thankfully with my bank, if I use any of their ATMs ANYWHERE, I don't get charged :) It's free to take your money out. I don't think I get charged for spending money just because it's debit O.o hehe. What's the difference between credit and debit? (blonde question)