Useful Info For Older Cat Parents

Recently, my older cat, who is ten years old, has developed a problem with hairballs, due to constipation. This had been going on for a couple of months and I've been feeding him hairball control food and giving him grass to eat, which he loves. He still seemed to be having a problem with regularity, so I contacted my vet about it. She asked if he was going to his litter box and straining to use the bathroom, which he's isn't, so it doesn't look as though he's impacted. A friend here on mylot suggested a little olive oil added to the diet might help (thanks kashmeresmycat!) but she also suggested something I'd never heard of before. She told me to buy some canned pumpkin and add one to two teaspoons daily to his food (wet food, of course). She said the pumpkin will add a fair amount of fiber to his diet and most cats like the taste well enough to eat it with no problem. This has worked out pretty well so far, as he eat's it without complaint. Just thought I'd share that info with anyone whose having this problem with their cutie.
I will be buying a can to have on hand. My cats are fine and eating well. I would love to add the fiber to see how they like it. Thanks for the tip. :)
It definitely won't hurt. The vet even told me not to worry if the kitten eats some of it, it isn't going to hurt her or give her diarrehea or anything.
@brendakaya (2335)
Thanks for the info. I knew about olive oil, but not the pumpkin. I guess I'll have to give it a try, since I have some older cats. Some that are 10 years old. Take care.
@lilaclady (28226)
Oh wow this is great information, thank you for sharing, I don't have that problem with my cat but all this sort of thing is good to know in case it heps me or someone else in the future, this is what I like about the Mylotters in here they share , so thank you.
We do this with our cats since having a $1,000 constipation bill for my Turkish Angora, Arthur. Actually we had to diagnose the problem ourselves. I utlimately had to get baby suppositories and put one in him so he would go. Can you even imagine that. My vet was shocked that I would even attempt such a thing, but pleased. Why should I have waited the weekend for them to do it. I have since found out that if a problem continues past a certain point that it may not be able to be reversed and that the cat COULD end up needing medication and manual stimulation daily to elminate his bowel matter. It is a very serious condition. Pumpkin is good in any bowel problem for cats. I open a large can and spoon little heaps on pieces of waxed paper, and freeze them, then we pull one or two out as we need it, let it thaw over night or put it in the microwave. That saves it from going bad in the fridge. We have also had a very hefty bill for two cats with the opposit problem and given them the powder psyllum in their food. Do not use the powder that your mom or dad or you use as it has other chemicals that your cats cannot tolerate. Changing foods can be very harmful to your cat. Always do it gradually. We feed Wellness canned and Pet Guard canned. Dry foods have a lot of additives and jumk in them and also gum up your cats teeth. They do not act as a cleaner for your cats teeth. Your cat does not chew it's food as much as you might think. The hard food then gets moist and gums up it's teeth adding to plaque. Canned food with ingredients that are for the qality of humans is very good for your cats and was not affected by the recalls this summer.
Thanks so much for the advice about freezing the pumpkin. I just dropped everything I was doing and went in the kitchen and put some in the freezer. I'm really sorry to hear about your kitties bowel ordeals. I also didn't know about the dry food causing plaque in cats. That's really good to know. I actually tried putting my older cat on a raw food diet, several months ago after the scare with the pet food recalls. I'll have to make a separate post for that. Bottom line on that one: easier said than done.